What makes uiv = u a 4th-order ODE?

• Thread starter bravelittlemu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, this equation is a fourth-order ordinary differential equation that has solutions when v!=0 and any u otherwise.
bravelittlemu
I am not interested in the solution, but I am curious what makes: uiv = u, a 4th-order ordinary differential equation. 'i' is the square-root of -1, v is some element of the reals, and the differentiating variable is x.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
what makes: u^iv = u, a 4th-order ordinary differential equation.

Really interesting! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I'm not familiar with this problem, so I'm not offering an answer, but here's what I did:

First restate

u^i*v = e^(ln(u)*i*v)=u

If you take the x derivative of both sides, you get

i*e^(ln(u)*iv)*(u'v/u + v'ln(u))=u'

recognize that the first part is u by the original eqn, then divide both sides by u',

iv +iv' u/u' = 1

That guy is separable, so

v'/(1-iv) = u'/(u*ln(u)) = a set of constants

Looks like a first order equation to me.

But I'm wondering if maybe that i allows higher orders? Like the way that i^i = (-e^(i*2*pi*n)*i/2) = -e^(pi*n) for any integer value of n? But that trick only works because i has an absolute value of 1, which isn't necessarily true of u or v. Also, I have no idea why n would stop at 4.

Where did you hear it was a 4th order ODE?

My textbook. :D
Birkhoff, Rota, Ordinary Differnential Equations (4th), 1989, pg 73 Example 1
MaxL said:
Really interesting! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Where did you hear it was a 4th order ODE?

This is not a differential equation at all. It's simply

[tex]u^{iv-1} = 1[/tex]

[tex](iv-1) \ln (re^{i\phi}) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] (iv-1) (i\phi + \ln{r}) = 0[/itex]

which has solutions: (r=1, phi=0 => u=1) when v!=0, and any u otherwise.

hamster143 said:
This is not a differential equation at all.
Hi Hamster,

My textbook explicitly states that it is a 4th-order DE and the purpose of the example is to build a basis of solutions to the DE.

The only way it could be a DE is if 'iv' denotes fourth derivative (Roman "4") rather than i times v:

[tex]u'''' = u[/tex]

hamster143 said:
The only way it could be a DE is if 'iv' denotes a fourth differential rather than i times v:

[tex]u'''' = u[/tex]

That is it. The book uses z = μ + iυ (nu) to represent a complex number and upon closer inspection (holding the book up to my face) the exponent is iv (in cursive, go figure.).

Thanks all!

Hahaha, oh man that's hilarious.

:rofl:

1. What is a 4th order ODE?

A 4th order ODE, or fourth-order ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the fourth order. It is a type of differential equation that is commonly used to model physical systems in which the rate of change of a variable depends on the variable itself, as well as its first, second, third, and fourth derivatives.

2. How is a 4th order ODE different from other types of differential equations?

A 4th order ODE is classified as a higher-order differential equation, meaning it involves derivatives of a higher order than 1. It is also more complex than 1st, 2nd, and 3rd order ODEs, as it requires more initial conditions to be solved and can have a wider range of possible solutions.

3. What are some examples of physical systems that can be modeled using a 4th order ODE?

A 4th order ODE can be used to describe various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, the flow of electric current in a circuit, and the behavior of a spring-mass system.

4. How can a 4th order ODE be solved?

There are various methods for solving a 4th order ODE, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and variation of parameters, as well as numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods. The chosen method depends on the specific equation and initial conditions.

5. What are the applications of 4th order ODEs in scientific research?

4th order ODEs are widely used in scientific research, particularly in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze complex physical systems, such as chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also essential in the development of mathematical models for predicting and understanding real-world phenomena.