Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is this a contradiction?

1. Feb 21, 2008 #1
    I read this on cut-the-knot.org:

How is this a contradiction? If [itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex] just says that [itex]p^2[/itex] is even, it doesn't say that 'p' is even. It is a very obvious mistake. So.. is this a stupidity on their part or something that i may have missed [or a stupidity] on my part..

I generally wouldn't have posted this here.. but since cut-the-not.org has quality articles posted.. i would like to rethink this problem before concluding that they made a mistake.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2008 #2
    Is there an assumption that p and q are integers? I think that might make it work… but I agree with your objection.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. Feb 21, 2008 #3
    The problem assumes that p and q are integers, since it assumes that p/q is a rational number.

5. Feb 21, 2008 #4
    Not all rational numbers are integers.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

is a rational number but not an integer.

6. Feb 21, 2008 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Slider142 never said p/q was an integer if p and q were integers, but did say p/q was rational if p and q were integers. 1 and 2 are nice integers =]

We have that p is an integer, and that p^2 is divisible by 2. In fact, p^2, if divisible by 2, must also be divisble by 4. This is because if we express p^2 as a product of its factors, [tex]p^2 = 2^2 * k^2 * p^2 ...[/tex] where k and p are other integers/factors. All the powers must be even, in particular for 2. This is because if the power were odd, then in the factorization for p, there would be a non-integer power - ie not allowed.

7. Feb 21, 2008 #6
    Oh, you're right. Duh. :blushing: Sorry, slider.

8. Feb 21, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If p is odd, then p= 2n+1 for some integer n. Then p2= (2n+1)2= 4n2+ 4n+ 1= 2(2n2+ 2n)+ 1, "2 times an integer plus 1", and so odd. That is: If p is an odd integer, then so is p2". It follows that if p2 is even then p must be even.

I would suggest that you not throw around words like "obviously wrong" and "stupidity" so easily. They tend to come back at you.

9. Feb 21, 2008 #8
    They were talking oranges but you are talking bananas. The contradiction is that p and q were originally considered coprime!! Since if the square root of 2 = p/q where p and q are integers, we can always reduce p and q to coprime integers by dividing by the common factor.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  10. Mar 18, 2008 #9
    it's impossible two number be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and is also impossible a square of an odd/even number turn to be even/odd

11. Mar 19, 2008 #10
    But 2*p is even, even if p is odd, so I dont know what you are trying to say.

12. Mar 20, 2008 #11
    I am saying that if x = 2y then x is even, very simple.

13. Mar 21, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes 2p is always even but that has nothing to do with what he said. He, and your original post, was talking about squares of numbers. As I showed above, the square of any even number is even, the square of any odd number is odd.

If n2 is even, then n itself must be even. If it were odd, then n2 would have to be odd, not even.

14. Mar 21, 2008 #13
    That is fine but Can you follow HallsofIvy's Logic and show that If x is square then y can not be odd? Thus the contradictiopn since y was assumed to be odd?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  15. Mar 21, 2008 #14
    Hi Ramsey, I am not sure what you want to know about my post...

given x = 2y, if y is odd then x cannot be a square since x is even.

proof: if x is a square it can be written as 4a^2, for an any a, and 4a^2 = 2y ==> 2a^2 = y ==> y is even, and this is a contradiction because we assumed that y is odd

I am not sure if this is what you want, so I'll reproduce a proof of irrationality of 2

supose [tex]\sqrt{2} = p/q[/tex] in the lowest terms ==> gcd(p,q) = 1

[tex]2 = \frac{p^2}{q^2}\ ==> \ 2q^2 = p^2\ ==>[/tex] p is even (this is the conclusion about the elementary principle: two numbers cannot be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and I am not talking about q, I am talking about 2q^2, this number is even)

as p is even, p = 2k ==> p^2 = 4k^2 ==> [tex]q^2 = 2k^2[/tex] which means that q is even also, so p/q is not in the lowest terms, and this is the contradiction, and then [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] cannot be expressed as a rational ==> [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  16. Mar 21, 2008 #15
    The key was the assumption that gcd(p,q) = 1 which is what Slider142 and I posted earlier.

17. Mar 22, 2008 #16
    oh yes, ramsey, this is the key.

sometimes I just read the first post and put some ideas, I didin't see what you guys have posted before

I hope who have opened the thread do understand the arguments

18. Apr 10, 2008 #17
    [itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex]
    so [itex]p^2[/itex] is even
    so [itex]p[/itex] is even
    so [itex]p[/itex]=0 mod 2
    so [itex]p^2[/itex]=0 mod 4
    so [itex]p^2=2q^2[/itex]=0 mod 4
    so [itex]q^2[/itex]=0 mod 2
    so [itex]q[/itex]=0 mod 2
    so q is even
    so 2|gcd(p,q)
    so gcd(p,q)>1

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?