But we assumed p and q are mutually prime, a contradiction.

In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction that arises when assuming that p and q are integers and mutually prime, and that p^2 = 2q^2. It is shown that this leads to the conclusion that both p and q must be even, contradicting the initial assumption. The conversation also addresses the assumption of p and q being integers, and the proof of irrationality of 2 is provided as an example.
rohanprabhu
I read this on cut-the-knot.org:

The premise [itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex] tells us that p is even. Assuming p and q mutually prime, q is bound to be odd. However, the square of an even number is divisible by 4, which leads us to conclude that q is even. A contradiction.

How is this a contradiction? If [itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex] just says that [itex]p^2[/itex] is even, it doesn't say that 'p' is even. It is a very obvious mistake. So.. is this a stupidity on their part or something that i may have missed [or a stupidity] on my part..

I generally wouldn't have posted this here.. but since cut-the-not.org has quality articles posted.. i would like to rethink this problem before concluding that they made a mistake.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an assumption that p and q are integers? I think that might make it work… but I agree with your objection.

Last edited:
The problem assumes that p and q are integers, since it assumes that p/q is a rational number.

slider142 said:
The problem assumes that p and q are integers, since it assumes that p/q is a rational number.

Not all rational numbers are integers.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

is a rational number but not an integer.

Slider142 never said p/q was an integer if p and q were integers, but did say p/q was rational if p and q were integers. 1 and 2 are nice integers =]

We have that p is an integer, and that p^2 is divisible by 2. In fact, p^2, if divisible by 2, must also be divisble by 4. This is because if we express p^2 as a product of its factors, [tex]p^2 = 2^2 * k^2 * p^2 ...[/tex] where k and p are other integers/factors. All the powers must be even, in particular for 2. This is because if the power were odd, then in the factorization for p, there would be a non-integer power - ie not allowed.

Gib Z said:
Slider142 never said p/q was an integer if p and q were integers, but did say p/q was rational if p and q were integers. 1 and 2 are nice integers =]

Oh, you're right. Duh. :blushing: Sorry, slider.

If p is odd, then p= 2n+1 for some integer n. Then p2= (2n+1)2= 4n2+ 4n+ 1= 2(2n2+ 2n)+ 1, "2 times an integer plus 1", and so odd. That is: If p is an odd integer, then so is p2". It follows that if p2 is even then p must be even.

I would suggest that you not throw around words like "obviously wrong" and "stupidity" so easily. They tend to come back at you.

rohanprabhu said:
I read this on cut-the-knot.org:

How is this a contradiction? If [itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex] just says that [itex]p^2[/itex] is even, it doesn't say that 'p' is even. It is a very obvious mistake. So.. is this a stupidity on their part or something that i may have missed [or a stupidity] on my part..

I generally wouldn't have posted this here.. but since cut-the-not.org has quality articles posted.. i would like to rethink this problem before concluding that they made a mistake.

thanks
They were talking oranges but you are talking bananas. The contradiction is that p and q were originally considered coprime! Since if the square root of 2 = p/q where p and q are integers, we can always reduce p and q to coprime integers by dividing by the common factor.

Last edited:
it's impossible two number be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and is also impossible a square of an odd/even number turn to be even/odd

al-mahed said:
it's impossible two number be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and is also impossible a square of an odd/even number turn to be even/odd

But 2*p is even, even if p is odd, so I don't know what you are trying to say.

ramsey2879 said:

I am saying that if x = 2y then x is even, very simple.

al-mahed said:

ramsey2879 said:
Yes 2p is always even but that has nothing to do with what he said. He, and your original post, was talking about squares of numbers. As I showed above, the square of any even number is even, the square of any odd number is odd.

If n2 is even, then n itself must be even. If it were odd, then n2 would have to be odd, not even.

al-mahed said:
I am saying that if x = 2y then x is even, very simple.
That is fine but Can you follow HallsofIvy's Logic and show that If x is square then y can not be odd? Thus the contradictiopn since y was assumed to be odd?

Last edited:
Hi Ramsey, I am not sure what you want to know about my post...

given x = 2y, if y is odd then x cannot be a square since x is even.

proof: if x is a square it can be written as 4a^2, for an any a, and 4a^2 = 2y ==> 2a^2 = y ==> y is even, and this is a contradiction because we assumed that y is odd

I am not sure if this is what you want, so I'll reproduce a proof of irrationality of 2

supose [tex]\sqrt{2} = p/q[/tex] in the lowest terms ==> gcd(p,q) = 1

[tex]2 = \frac{p^2}{q^2}\ ==> \ 2q^2 = p^2\ ==>[/tex] p is even (this is the conclusion about the elementary principle: two numbers cannot be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and I am not talking about q, I am talking about 2q^2, this number is even)

as p is even, p = 2k ==> p^2 = 4k^2 ==> [tex]q^2 = 2k^2[/tex] which means that q is even also, so p/q is not in the lowest terms, and this is the contradiction, and then [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] cannot be expressed as a rational ==> [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational

Last edited:
al-mahed said:
Hi Ramsey, I am not sure what you want to know about my post...

given x = 2y, if y is odd then x cannot be a square since x is even.

proof: if x is a square it can be written as 4a^2, for an any a, and 4a^2 = 2y ==> 2a^2 = y ==> y is even, and this is a contradiction because we assumed that y is odd

I am not sure if this is what you want, so I'll reproduce a proof of irrationality of 2

supose [tex]\sqrt{2} = p/q[/tex] in the lowest terms ==> gcd(p,q) = 1

[tex]2 = \frac{p^2}{q^2}\ ==> \ 2q^2 = p^2\ ==>[/tex] p is even (this is the conclusion about the elementary principle: two numbers cannot be equal and one be even and the other be odd, and I am not talking about q, I am talking about 2q^2, this number is even)

as p is even, p = 2k ==> p^2 = 4k^2 ==> [tex]q^2 = 2k^2[/tex] which means that q is even also, so p/q is not in the lowest terms, and this is the contradiction, and then [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] cannot be expressed as a rational ==> [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational
The key was the assumption that gcd(p,q) = 1 which is what Slider142 and I posted earlier.

oh yes, ramsey, this is the key.

sometimes I just read the first post and put some ideas, I didin't see what you guys have posted before

I hope who have opened the thread do understand the arguments

[itex]p^2 = 2q^2[/itex]
so [itex]p^2[/itex] is even
so [itex]p[/itex] is even
so [itex]p[/itex]=0 mod 2
so [itex]p^2[/itex]=0 mod 4
so [itex]p^2=2q^2[/itex]=0 mod 4
so [itex]q^2[/itex]=0 mod 2
so [itex]q[/itex]=0 mod 2
so q is even
so 2|gcd(p,q)
so gcd(p,q)>1

Last edited:

1. How can something be both true and false at the same time?

A contradiction occurs when two statements or ideas contradict each other, meaning they cannot both be true at the same time. It is a logical impossibility for something to be both true and false simultaneously.

2. Why is it important to identify contradictions in scientific research?

Identifying contradictions in scientific research is important because they can lead to faulty conclusions and undermine the validity of the research. In order to ensure accurate and reliable results, scientists must carefully examine and address any contradictions that arise.

3. How do contradictions arise in scientific theories?

Contradictions can arise in scientific theories due to a variety of factors, such as errors in data collection or analysis, conflicting evidence, or limitations in current scientific understanding. They can also occur when new evidence or discoveries challenge previously accepted theories.

4. Can a contradiction ever be resolved in scientific research?

Yes, contradictions can be resolved in scientific research through further investigation, experimentation, and critical analysis. Scientists may modify or refine their theories in order to reconcile the contradiction and create a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

5. How can we avoid contradictions in scientific research?

While it is impossible to completely avoid contradictions in scientific research, scientists can minimize their occurrence by following rigorous and standardized methods, carefully considering all available evidence, and being open to revising theories in light of new information. Collaboration and peer review can also help identify and address potential contradictions in research.