Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is this diet?

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1

tgt

What would you think of a diet with the following menu:

Breakfast:
    Porridge (oates + milk)

Lunch:
    Sushi (a selection of different sushi such as salmon, chicken, beef, eel, prawn etc which includes a bit of vegetables )

Dinner:
    Subway Restaurant sandwich with meat (any) and all the vegetables it has to offer.

The breakfast is perhaps a bit boring. Anybody can think of something simple and easily prepared? Maybe some fruit for breakfast. What are some filling fruits? Banana is one.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    Vastly lacking vegetables, fruits and whole grain. There's quite a lot of meat in my opinion, you could get and probably will get much more protein than you need. I have to admit that the breakfast looks appetizing.

4. Jun 25, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to read the advice already given in a previous thread about lack of variety in diets. Yours isn't quite so extreme, but the cautions still apply.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=231693

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

Hepth

Gold Member

Excess sushi may or may not lead to mercury problems.

6. Jun 26, 2009 #5

tgt

There is vegetables in the sushi and tons in Subway sandwiches. Note that the breakfast is literally oats + milk. No sugar or anything sweet. It's actually very filling even with only a little bit.

7. Jun 26, 2009 #6

tgt

Why?

8. Jun 26, 2009 #7
    How very informative.
    Some species/sources of fish are high in mercury due to pollution. Excess consumption of fish could lead to toxic levels.

9. Jun 26, 2009 #8

tgt

Maybe some fruits for breakfast instead. What are some filling fruits? Banana is one. Any others?

10. Jun 26, 2009 #9
    I'd put fruit on the side or mix in into the gruel, and probably make some buttered whole-wheat toast or other bread for dipping in there. My husband's home-cooked oatmeal with buttery toast is to die for!

I couldn't see eating sushi and Subway every day. What about soups with cheese and bread on the side, or veggie and tofu stirfry? There are several recipes in the food thread. Baked chicken was an easy one that was discussed sometime recently.

Like Moonbear mentions... you need variety in your diet -- both with regards to food groups and even the things you choose from those groups from day to day (even though there's some comfort in routine). In my case, I like to make certain things routine only certain days of the week. In my case, we go once every weekend to our favorite restaurant where I get eggs Benedict and a waffle with fresh fruit (no butter or syrup needed). Occasionally we'll vary... so our waitress always asks us if we'll need menus... but 90% of the time, even when we think about changing we stay the same! but again... that's just one meal we have once per week.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook