1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is this formula derived?

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    t=2v/g

the AAMC used this formula to solve a problem that was asking what would happen to time if the gravity becomes g/6. the answer is that the time increases by a factor of 6.

2. Relevant equations
    v=v0 + at

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the wrong answer by thinking that i can use the free fall equation x=1/2 gt2 Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to post the entire original question.

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3

Attached Files:

5. Oct 29, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Next time, please try to post the image the right way up.
    But you don't know x, so how can you use that? Did you assume the height reached would be the same in both gravities?
    There are 5 variables in the 5 SUVAT equations. Each equation uses four of them. Given the values of three and the need to determine a fourth, pick the one with those four.
    Which three do you know here, and which is to be determined?

6. Oct 29, 2014 #5
    I'm sorry about that, I kept trying to make it right side up but it wouldn't budge.

The one I need to determine is the time. The ones I know are acceleration (gravity) and velocity.
    There is the equation v=v0 + 1/2 at2 but I'm not sure how to manipulate it to come out to t=2v/g. When I tried to make it equal to t, I get t=v-v0/a. I don't understand where they get 2v from since the v0 is added on one side, wouldn't it get subtracted if it moves to the other side?

7. Oct 29, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is no such SUVAT equation. Do you mean s= v0 t + (1/2) at2 , or v=v0 + at?
    Also, to what process are you applying this? E.g. the whole process from throwing the ball up to its landing again?

8. Oct 29, 2014 #7
    I'm sorry that was a typo. The equation was v=v0 + at
    I was applying it to the whole process, from when the ball was thrown up to it landing

9. Oct 29, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, so v0 is the velocity at which it was thrown up. What's the velocity just before it lands?

10. Oct 29, 2014 #9
    the velocity before it lands is v=√2gh

11. Oct 30, 2014 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, you can do it that way if you can figure out h. Alternatively, what do you think the relationship is between the velocity it was thrown up with and the velocity it lands with?

12. Oct 30, 2014 #11
    Would the two velocities by equal? 2v?

13. Oct 30, 2014 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not equal, exactly. Remember, a velocity is a vector, it has direction.
    What are you asking?

14. Oct 30, 2014 #13
    I'm trying to figure out how they came up with t=2v/g

15. Oct 30, 2014 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I know that, but your last post finished with the question "2v?". I have no idea what you are asking there.

16. Oct 30, 2014 #15
    Oh ok sorry about that, I didn't know if that's where the 2v in the equation came from. If they're talking about the initial v and the v before it lands.

17. Oct 30, 2014 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, let's get back to where we were. What is the relationship between the initial and final velocities? They are not equal because they are not in the same direction, but it is a very simple relationship.

18. Oct 30, 2014 #17
    Are they inversely proportional to each other? Equal but opposite signs?

19. Oct 30, 2014 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Two very different propositions. Don't guess - which is it? You should be able to pick the right one from everyday experience.

20. Oct 30, 2014 #19
    Ok they are inversely proportional to each other since they are vectors

21. Oct 30, 2014 #20

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand what inversely proportional means? It would mean that one of them equals some constant divided by the other. There is no such process as division by a vector.
    If you throw a ball up at 3m/s and catch it at the same height as it comes down, how fast do you think it will be travelling when you catch it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted