Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is this possible?

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    How can this be true(z is complex)

z^a = exp(a * ln(z))

but in general ln(z^a) is not equal to a * ln(z)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    Are you mainly interested in the case where [itex]a\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]? (Answer would be simpler then)

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Well, anyway, I'll assume that [itex]a\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Arbitrary [itex]a\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] would result in more calculating, but I don't believe there would be anything highly different.

This equation is usually true, because it is the definition of the left side. First you must decide what argument function [itex]\textrm{arg}:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] you are using. This choice will fix the branch of the logarithm,

[tex]
    \log(z) = \log |z| + i\textrm{arg}(z),
    [/tex]

and then we denote

[tex]
    z^a := e^{a\log (z)}.
    [/tex]

The equation is not necessarily true, if you start using other branches of logarithm later, of course.

This is not true always because of the branch cuts.

[tex]
    \log (z^a) = \log(e^{a\log(z)}) = \log( \underbrace{e^{a\log |z|}}_{\in\mathbb{R}} \underbrace{e^{ia\textrm{arg}(z)}}_{\in S^1\subset\mathbb{C}} ) = \log(e^{a\log |z|}) \;+\; i\textrm{arg}(e^{ia\textrm{arg}(z)})
    [/tex]

[tex]
    a\log(z) = a\log |z| + ia\textrm{arg}(z)
    [/tex]

The equation

[tex]
    a\log |z| = \log(e^{a\log |z|})
    [/tex]

is always true, but

[tex]
    a\textrm{arg}(z) = \textrm{arg}(e^{ia\textrm{arg}(z)}) + 2\pi n
    [/tex]

may need some [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] depending on how the argument function happens to behave with these [itex]a,z[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

So... basically it's not true due to the extra 2*pi*n factor at the end?

No that can´t be true. Then the equation would be true for the principal value?

No wait. It's the extra iarg factor in this

[tex]
    \log (z^a) = \log(e^{a\log(z)}) = \log( \underbrace{e^{a\log |z|}}_{\in\mathbb{R}} \underbrace{e^{ia\textrm{arg}(z)}}_{\in S^1\subset\mathbb{C}} ) = \log(e^{a\log |z|}) \;+\; i\textrm{arg}(e^{ia\textrm{arg}(z)})
    [/tex]

If there is no iarg, then there is only log(e^(a*log|z|)) which is |z|^a and this is true for the real numbers since |z| is really replaced by x

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?