Question about Ananova Article: Does it Make Sense?

• Thread starter Fantasmagoria
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an article on a website about a burglar-proof door that was found to have 149 volts running through it. The individuals discussing the article question how this could be possible and suggest various theories, including current leaking into an underground pipe and the door being a potential capacitor. However, they ultimately conclude that the article is most likely a hoax or misleading.
Fantasmagoria
I have a quick question
about this ananova article that's been bothering me. I can't figure out any way it makes sense. (and ananova usually doesn't publish complete bs as far as I know)
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3148241.html
basically, my question is: does it make sense to you? how is there voltage through a single chunk of metal? or is there something special about a burglar-proof door, like two separate panels or something? but then why wouldn't it just discharge completely when they connect a wire to the two sides?
What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fantasmagoria said:
I have a quick question
about this ananova article that's been bothering me. I can't figure out any way it makes sense. (and ananova usually doesn't publish complete bs as far as I know)
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3148241.html
basically, my question is: does it make sense to you? how is there voltage through a single chunk of metal? or is there something special about a burglar-proof door, like two separate panels or something? but then why wouldn't it just discharge completely when they connect a wire to the two sides?
What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. I read the article three times and the source of the current is a mystery. It's pretty much a story about mysterious electrical discharge.

How it might be possible is that there might be current leaking into some old underground pipe near the surface under the doorway from a short somewhere else in the neighborhood and he made contact with the pipe when he drove a screw down to secure the new metal doorjamb. That's as plausible a guess as any.

It's not clear from the article if a capacitor discharge is suggested or if the current is continuous, even when the building's power was cut. Could they light that bulb continuously when the building's power was off, or was it a one-shot discharge? At any rate I assume the door has two separate 'iron' (probably actually steel) panels with lighter filler between (a potential capacitor if the two panels somehow ended up not being shorted to each other). A solid iron door would be incredibly heavy, and it would require expensive casting and then heavy duty machining to square it up.

A more wacky notion that also occurred to me is that, if the door's manufacturer included some kind of wax, or waxed paper between the two outer panels they might have inadvertently created a really big electret.

We'll never know unless some clever detective examines the door and surroundings and figures it out and they post a follow up story.

If we give them both a crash course in basic electricity, who will solve the mystery first, House or Monk?

Last edited by a moderator:
The story itself, from the website, sounds suspect to me.
I would say that the whole thing is a hoax; an attention grabber.

"An electrician checked the door and found it had 149 volts running through it"

Did the electrician describe the voltage as "running through" the door? If so, I'd check his credentials.

Even if he does mean that there was a voltage drop across the door, this article is still bogus.

In order for there to be EMF in a chunk of a conductor, it would have to be hooked up to an external voltage source, like a battery. The door could have a charge without this, but simply having a net charge will not consistently produce 149 volts. There could be some induction going on, but that would only really work if the door were grounded and there was something else near the door that had a charge. Still, this wouldn't produce voltage across the door.

1. What is the main topic of the Ananova article?

The main topic of the Ananova article is whether the content and claims made in the article make logical sense.

2. What are some examples of claims made in the article that may not make sense?

Some examples of claims made in the article that may not make sense include the use of incorrect or unsubstantiated information, contradictions within the article, and claims that are not supported by evidence or research.

3. How does the article evaluate the credibility of its claims?

The article evaluates the credibility of its claims by analyzing the accuracy and reliability of the information presented, examining the sources used, and considering any potential biases or conflicts of interest.

4. What is the purpose of questioning the sense of an article?

The purpose of questioning the sense of an article is to critically examine and evaluate the information presented, in order to determine its validity and credibility.

5. How can readers apply the concepts discussed in the article to other sources of information?

Readers can apply the concepts discussed in the article to other sources of information by using critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate the content and claims made, and by seeking out multiple sources to verify information.