1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is torque shared?

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    Hey there, I'm trying to figure out how torque operates in combination and I can't find anything relating to this in any textbooks or online.

So if you a mass held by two strings in equilibrium, the force of gravity is split evenly between them right?
    What happens if you have torque instead of a linear force?

A common example I have seen when looking around is that if you have three masses at known distances on a see-saw in equilibrium and you know two of the masses you can solve for the third.
    But now what happens if you have a system in equilibrium where you apply a torque on one side of the see saw which is opposed by two forces at different distances on the other?

I came up with a concrete example in the figure below so it is more clear.

Are the forces equal or are the torques equal? Or perhaps neither?

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FvLvKC60.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

For an object to be in static equilibrium both the forces and the torques must sum to 0.

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    Right this is what I've been using to try to figure it out but I get stuck with something like x+y=T where x and y are unknown.

5. May 16, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it is possible to have a system where you have too many unknown forces to solve. Such a system is known as "statically indeterminate".

In order to solve such a system you have to include the material properties of the beam and calculate the amount of stress and strain. This adds additional equations and gives you a system you can solve.

6. May 16, 2015 #5
    Awesome, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook