Is UC Santa Barbara a top school for particle theory?

• Thread starter QuantumDefect
  • Start date
In summary, Santa Barbara has been getting a lot of press lately for the amount of research coming out of it. It has the institute for theoretical physics as well. It is projected to be $20,000 for undergrads to rent an apartment for the next academic year.
QuantumDefect
Ive been looking at this school for particle theory and it looks very promising. Does anyone know how it ranks compared to other schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been getting a lot of press lately for the amount of research coming out of it. It has the institute for theoretical physics as well.

Have you rented an apartment in Santa Barbara lately? :eek:

Is it expensive John?

For undergrads renting apartments the total cost for the next academic year is "projected" to be $20,000 (which is supposed to include everything.)

For undergrads renting apartments the total cost for the next academic year is "projected" to be $20,000 (which is supposed to include everything.)

Please tell my you're kidding. I'm starting there this fall. Where did you get that info by the way?

Santa Barbara has one of the highest costs of living in California. Many students rent out a single-bedroom apartment and partition it. I have heard of four living in a single.

$20,000 a year is probably about right, but that assumes the student lives alone (a rarity in Santa Barbara for obvious reasons).

You could also live in Ventura and commute, which would save a little money. Or better yet, buy a boat, live on the boat while you go to grad school, then sell the boat when you are finished.

Gza said:
Please tell my you're kidding. I'm starting there this fall. Where did you get that info by the way?

Well i applied for the fall got accepted to the Colelge of Creative Studies, and found that i couldn't scrounge up the dough. So i feel failry well informed on the matter, since it was my first choice.

JohnDubYa said:
$20,000 a year is probably about right, but that assumes the student lives alone (a rarity in Santa Barbara for obvious reasons).

That was for Undergrad living in dorms.

Oh my. :eek:

I went to school there last year and lived on campus. It was about the same as it costs to live here in Irvine and go to UC Irvine.

I have friends who live in Isla Vista, the campus affiliated apartment community, and rent is insane. We're talking 600 bucks a month to share a room. But it's an awesome place to go to school and if I could reverse time I would have stayed there..

why did you transfer to irvine?

doesnt the university help pay your way with grants and fellowships? There is also the FAFSA too.

I get very limited grants because of how much my mom makes. I'm basically taking out around $5500 in loans each year to pay for school, most of that in unsubsidized loans. Compared to other schools though, I think this is a bargain.

I transferred to UCI to be closer to my ex-girlfriend. Obviously, that wasn't a wise decision, but I have to live with it. That's another story entirely, however.

That's funny, I'm moving to Santa Barbara to be further from my ex girlfriend, since I also got accepted to her university. There's a certain symmetry to that situation. :smile:

How is UC Santa Barbara?

UC Santa Barbara is a highly ranked public research university located in Santa Barbara, California.

What is the student population at UC Santa Barbara?

As of Fall 2021, UC Santa Barbara has a total student population of approximately 26,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

What is the acceptance rate at UC Santa Barbara?

In Fall 2021, UC Santa Barbara had an acceptance rate of 29.6%, making it a highly selective university.

What are the most popular majors at UC Santa Barbara?

The most popular majors at UC Santa Barbara are Economics, Business Economics, Communication, Psychology, and Sociology.

What is the campus like at UC Santa Barbara?

The UC Santa Barbara campus is situated on 1,055 acres along the Pacific Ocean and boasts a beautiful beachfront location. It is known for its scenic views, modern architecture, and environmentally sustainable design.