Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long, after dis-entanglement, does the photon retain its newly created spin/state

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    how long, after dis-entanglement, on average, does an event occur that causes the photon to loose its newly created spin/state?

To illustrate the above, lets say:

Alice measures her entangled photon at 10 am. She gets spin up. We all know if Bob measures at 10:000000000001 am he will get spin down.

However lets assume Bob was having beer and was a bit slow and measured his photon at say, 10:15 am.....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    Re: how long, after dis-entanglement, does the photon retain its newly created spin/s

If nothing further happens to Bob's photon (i.e. interacts etc.), then it will remain spin down.

(Technically, though, when Alice measures her photon, the photon at Bob's side is still entangled with Alice's (i.e. in no definite state, according to standard QM). This is a consequence of the linearity of the Schrodinger equation.)

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    Re: how long, after dis-entanglement, does the photon retain its newly created spin/s

and if bob after see his spin down change it to up, alice it will see then her spin down ?......

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Nope.

6. Aug 31, 2012 #5

What do you mean by "in no definite state"? 'Collapse' is instantaneous as far as we can tell at this point(>10^4 C), and we are talking about one system.

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6

right.

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7

By "in no definite state", I mean in a superposition of spin up and down.

9. Aug 31, 2012 #8

Indefiniteness is broken once a measurement is made on the system. Bob's photon cannot remain in an indefinite state(up and down).

10. Aug 31, 2012 #9

As I stated earlier, according to standard QM no measurement occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook