Do my college credits expire after 10 years?

• Thread starter Freyster98
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker graduated from high school in 1999 and attended college for two years for business, but did not do well due to disliking the subject. They re-entered college in 2007 for engineering and are unsure if their previously earned credits in general education classes will still count towards graduation. They have read that these credits may expire after 10 years, but hope that since they re-entered before the 10 year mark, they will still count. The speaker plans to ask their advisor for more information and notes that this policy may vary by institution.
Freyster98
I graduated from high school in 1999. Starting that fall ( of '99 ), I went to college ( for business ) for about 2 years and did horribly because I hated the subject matter, but I did earn some credits in a few gen-ed classes that met the english, social/behavioral science, and humanities requirements. I re-entered in the fall of 2007 for engineering, and am wondering if these classes should still count towards graduation. I've read some places that they "expire" after 10 years, but for such generic classes not really related to my major, is this true? My hope is that since I re-entered before that 10 years is up they should count, but worry that since I'll be graduating after the 10 year mark they won't.

I understand this probably differs from institution to institution, but any general examples of how this works would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I'm going to ask my advisor later this week. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Freyster98 said:
I re-entered in the fall of 2007 for engineering, and am wondering if these classes should still count towards graduation. I've read some places that they "expire" after 10 years, but for such generic classes not really related to my major, is this true? My hope is that since I re-entered before that 10 years is up they should count, but worry that since I'll be graduating after the 10 year mark they won't.

You are correct in that it varies by institution. You should be able to find this information in your undergraduate student handbook or course catalogue (students used to get a print copy... now some colleges still offer print copies, but many have the handbooks online). Generally you do need to graduate before the credits expire (enrollment during the time of expiration isn't sufficient). Note that in some cases you may be able to file a petition (but the cases I've seen succeed are cases of graduate studies... where the student took longer than seven years to complete the thesis research and the core coursework credits were set to expire in seven years -- I find ten years a bit surprising).

I cannot provide a definitive answer as this policy may vary from institution to institution. However, I can provide some general information on how college credits may expire after a certain period of time.

In most cases, college credits do not have an expiration date and can be used towards graduation regardless of when they were earned. However, some institutions may have a policy in place where credits from a certain number of years ago may need to be validated or reviewed to ensure they are still relevant and meet current academic standards. This is especially true for specialized or technical courses that may have changed significantly over time.

For generic classes like English, social/behavioral science, and humanities, it is less likely that they would expire as the knowledge and principles taught in these subjects tend to remain relatively consistent over time. Additionally, since you re-entered college before the 10-year mark, it is likely that these credits will still count towards your graduation requirements.

I would recommend discussing this with your advisor to get a more specific answer for your particular institution. They will have the most up-to-date information on their credit expiration policies and can advise you on how to proceed with your credits.

1. What are credits and how long do they last?

Credits are a unit of measurement used to represent completed coursework or learning experiences. The length of time that they last will vary depending on the institution or program, but generally they are valid for a certain number of years.

2. How long do credits typically last for college courses?

For college courses, credits usually last for a period of 5-10 years. However, this can vary depending on the specific college or university and their policies.

3. Do credits expire or can they be used indefinitely?

Credits can expire if they are not used within a certain timeframe. It is important to check with the institution or program to determine their credit expiration policy.

4. Can credits from one institution be transferred to another?

In most cases, credits earned from one institution can be transferred to another. However, this is dependent on the specific policies of both institutions and the accreditation of the courses.

5. Is there a limit to the number of credits that can be earned and used?

There is typically no limit to the number of credits that can be earned. However, each institution or program may have their own requirements for the number of credits needed for completion or graduation.