Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long do you keep Cards?

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Simple enough question, how long do people here keep cards such as birthday cards, get well soon cards, cards for events like graduation.... etc etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    Some cards I have had from my childhood, hmm, I've been told I keep way to many cards. Over the years I have had to limit saving cards, each Christmas I save only one. Last year it was MIH's California Santa card.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I save Christmas cards until all the decorations come down (usually by Valentine's Day :uhh:). Everything else, maybe a week, at least until the event they are acknowledging passes if they arrive ahead of it. I didn't inherit any of my parents' pack-rat tendencies, so they aren't kept for very long (my mom still has the cards sent for my first birthday).

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

When I proposed to my wife, I did it in a hand-painted Valentines's card and she has it in a box with her "special" stuff. She had to save Borek's card and the envelope too - the one with the decidedly non-specific address.

Other cards that she saves include (mostly humorous) birthday cards from me. One she got a big kick out of was about her birthday not being a bad thing, just another station on the Amtrak to Wrinkle City.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. Sep 25, 2009 #5
    When someone hands me a Christmas card, I open it up, grab the money and toss the card on the floor without reading it. Then I say "only five dollars?"

7. Sep 25, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It depends on who it is from and the reason. There is no "rule". If someone has written something thoughtful inside the card, I will save it.

8. Sep 26, 2009 #7
    Birthday Cards: A couple days tops
    Get well cards: until your well enough
    Graduations cards: I have kept these for a long time
    Other Holiday cards: a couple days

:rofl:
    I used to open the envelope and just shake the card to see if anything came out. I wouldn't even open it.

9. Sep 26, 2009 #8

Monocerotis

Gold Member

throw them out right after I read them lol

10. Sep 26, 2009 #9
    Generally they go straight into the trash after I read them unless they are special in which case I usually keep them about as long as it takes for them to get lost or ruined.

11. Sep 26, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok, so apparently you're all evil SOB's :biggrin: I sitll have cards from 5 months ago on my desk.

12. Sep 26, 2009 #11
    I have packrat family members that I grew up living with and I hate clutter. Every now and again I find myself collecting junk and have to go through and purge my possessions of it.

13. Sep 26, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here. I have enough stuff that is on my desk because it's all things I'm currently working on/with and it already drives me nuts, so anything that's not important gets tossed quickly. If I had a card on my desk for 5 months, it would only be because it got buried under a pile of other papers before I threw it out.

14. Sep 26, 2009 #13
    I don't like clutter either, and I don't keep a whole bunch of junk around, nor do I have packrat tendencies and save everything. (I leave that to my best friend who, despite having moved across the country and several times since then and our not having co-habitated for well over 25 years, still owns the majority of my stuff that I left behind in our old apartment.) But I keep most cards and letters. Christmas cards, not so much, because they aren't specific -- usually having come from a box of identical cards (meaning, the card sent to me wasn't specifically selected because it meant something to the sender) it's a "general" sort of greeting. But other cards, yes, I save them. They go into my trunk, which is the sole repository of "kept stuff" that doesn't have actual utility or purpose. I liken them to my photo albums. They're a collection of memories and, yes, I visit them from time to time.

15. Sep 26, 2009 #14
    I don't usually get cards so it saves me the trouble of throwing them out. My parents still insist on sending me birthday and christmas cards, but that's about it. I'd prefer a phone call or a letter. I keep those forever.

16. Sep 26, 2009 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The thing I think annoys me the most about the idea of throwing cards away is that it's something someone went out and bought for you... and you're going to just throw it away. I can't think of anything else that people get that is expected to be just thrown away.

17. Sep 26, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I don't mind throwing them away as long as the people who sent them are the ones who blew several bucks each at a Hallmark store. When I proposed to my wife, I had art-paper, India ink, a crow-quill steel nib pen and a set of pretty nice dry-cake watercolors. I made her card, and I made the envelope, including a hand-drawn "stamp" and "cancellation mark". A commercial card would have cost us money when we had none (essentially) and would have been a candidate for the trash unless my inscription was killer. We were both out of work at the time, since the mill that we both worked at had closed, and I was the only one who was eligible for unemployment, since the previous wood mill that she worked at had closed before she had amassed enough time since HS to become eligible. We started with essentially nothing but hand-me-down pots and pans and a few utensils, and a pay-by-the-week apartment. We didn't need Hallmark then, and now that we can afford it, we don't need it now, either.

Disclaimer: A very close friend of mine spent decades in CA as a graphic artist for Hallmark, and though he earned a decent living that way for a long time, he came to Maine to struggle as an artist and supplement the income with sign-painting, custom lettering and graphics, etc. He's happier here.

18. Sep 26, 2009 #17

Evo

I'm a terrible packrat. When I moved two years ago, it was to a much smaller place, so I couldn't move many things and not a day goes by that I don't regret having not moved an item.

We moved offices again yesterday. I had to pack up everything in my office for the movers, so I dumped a ton of old files rather than move them again.

I *KNOW* I will need at least half of those files within the next 90 days although some hadn't been touched since 2003.

Two years ago when we moved offices, I threw out all of my training material on satellites and GPS, thinking I had it all memorized, then someone asked me a question and I forgot and I had none of my material to reference. :frown:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  19. Sep 26, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Not good. I dumped a bunch of systems descriptions, training materials, etc, with the excuse that they were mill-specific and "proprietary". Dumb. Steam-tables don't change, the strategies for superheating and desuperheating steam don't change much from one application to another, and there was a lot of fairly creative writing targeted to adult learners with HS (at best) educations to help them understand these concepts. I shouldn't have abandoned that stuff with such a cavalier attitude just because I had a more lucrative job.

20. Sep 26, 2009 #19

Evo

Yes, this was all proprietary and I couldn't find what I needed online. Even the course had been removed from our training website.

21. Sep 26, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I was an idiot. I should have commented the training materials just like I commented code to clearly identify generic training materials from contract-specific materials. It's easy to toss stuff when you are fat and happy, only to realize later that some basics don't change, or only change so slowly that they can be re-packaged and re-presented to others. Many of the pulp and paper mills that I consulted for were built in the '60's and their power boilers, chemical recovery boilers, and steam distribution and electrical generating systems STILL need reliable, updated, cogent systems-descriptions and related training materials. Why did I toss all that material when I found a "better" career? Ignorance, pride, and lack of foresight....?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook