Timeline for Earning a Ph.D in Theoretical Particle Physics

• Thread starter justpassinby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph.d
In summary: D.Sc. degree from a "diploma mill". This is not a well-defined question because each university has its own requirements for a Ph.D. degree. For example, in the US, a master's degree is not a requirement for a Ph.D. program at MIT, Caltech, or Princeton. This means that if you did your Ph.D. at one of these universities, you will only have a B.S. degree listed in your CV, even though you have done graduate-level research. So you will have to be specific about what you are asking for. Otherwise, any answer given will be meaningless.In summary, obtaining a bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D in physics to pursue a career
justpassinby
My dream career would be to research and find new things and write papers in the field of theoretical particle physics. I'm pretty sure to get to that point however, I need a bachelor's, master's, and a Ph.D in Physics. So, how long would all of that combined take (roughly) (bachelor's + master's + Ph.D)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends a bit on where you are in the world. Probably somewhere between 7 to 10 years.
Also, this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Likes justpassinby
f95toli said:
Depends a bit on where you are in the world. Probably somewhere between 7 to 10 years.
Also, this is in the wrong sub-forum.
Oh sorry, didn't know. I'm a noob at this.

justpassinby said:
So, how long would all of that combined take (roughly) (bachelor's + master's + Ph.D)?

If you typed your message, "How long does a Ph.D take?" into a search engine, you would have gotten your answer even faster. If you're not willing to put even that little effort into this, do you think you are going to be able to put 7-10 years dedicated effort into a PhD?

justpassinby said:
My dream career would be to research and find new things and write papers in the field of theoretical particle physics. I'm pretty sure to get to that point however, I need a bachelor's, master's, and a Ph.D in Physics. So, how long would all of that combined take (roughly) (bachelor's + master's + Ph.D)?

READ.jpg

Zz.

Attachments

• READ.jpg
    READ.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 431
Likes Hypercube, justpassinby and berkeman
justpassinby said:
how long would all of that combined take (roughly) (bachelor's + master's + Ph.D)?
If you're in the US, and are "ordinary" graduate student material (brighter than the general university-student population because you're able to get into grad school, but not at the Feynman level), figure on 9-10 years total. Four years for the bachelor's, and 5-6 for the Ph.D. which includes the master's level coursework and the option to "pick up" an actual M.S. degree along the way.

I took 11 years myself, four for bachelor's and seven for a Ph.D. in in experimental particle physics. I could have finished a year or so earlier, but I was doing useful programming work for my research group and they weren't in a super hurry to kick me out. :cool:

Likes justpassinby
Vanadium 50 said:
If you typed your message, "How long does a Ph.D take?" into a search engine, you would have gotten your answer even faster. If you're not willing to put even that little effort into this, do you think you are going to be able to put 7-10 years dedicated effort into a PhD?
Well, I did put that into the search engine and it was giving me varying results. Some told that a Ph.D takes 5 years (didn't tell me that a master's degree would also account for the years) and some told me that it only takes 2 years. Now of course, if I cared about my future at all, I couldn't go off information given to me by a search engine's algorithm so I decided I want some human help and it also helped me find the answer to my personalized question. I didn't want to add up the years for all three (bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D) I wanted to know how many consecutive years it took for someone to do all of them together (including breaks, time off, vacations etc.) so I made my very own question in a website that I thought would have a lot of people that have went through what I was thinking of going through too. So to answer your question... Idk.

justpassinby said:
Well, I did put that into the search engine and it was giving me varying results. Some told that a Ph.D takes 5 years (didn't tell me that a master's degree would also account for the years) and some told me that it only takes 2 years.
Then it would have been nice if you had told us what you found. I wouldn't put much credence into the response that it would take only two years...

1. How long does a Ph.D take on average?

The average time it takes to complete a Ph.D varies depending on the field of study, but it usually takes around 5 to 7 years. Some programs may take longer, especially if the student is working part-time or has other commitments.

2. Can a Ph.D be completed in less than 5 years?

It is possible to complete a Ph.D in less than 5 years, but it is not common. Some students may be able to complete their research and dissertation in a shorter amount of time, but the overall length of the program is usually determined by the institution and the amount of research and coursework required.

3. Is it possible to complete a Ph.D in more than 7 years?

Yes, it is possible to take longer than 7 years to complete a Ph.D. This may happen due to various factors such as changing research topics, taking a break from studies, or encountering unexpected challenges during the research process. However, most programs have a time limit for completing the degree, usually around 10 years.

4. Can a Ph.D program be completed part-time?

Yes, some Ph.D programs offer the option to study part-time. This may be beneficial for students who are working or have other commitments. However, completing a Ph.D part-time will extend the overall length of the program.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the length of a Ph.D program?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the length of a Ph.D program. These include the field of study, the amount of research and coursework required, the student's availability and commitment to the program, and any unexpected challenges that may arise during the research process. Additionally, the support and guidance from the student's advisor and research team can also impact the length of the program.