How long does it take the penny to reach the ground?

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, the girl on the ride is 30m above the ground and ascending vertically at 5.0 m/s. She releases a penny while ascending. Using the quadratic formula, it takes approximately 3 seconds for the penny to reach the ground.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A girl is on a ride at an amusement park. She is 30m above the ground and is ascending vertically at 5.0 m/s. While she is ascending, she holds her arm out and releases a penny. How long does it take th penny to reach the ground?

Homework Equations

y=yi+vit+0.5(at^2)

Quadriatic formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

vi=5.0 m/s
yi=30 m
a=-9.8 m/s^2 (Letting up be positive.)
y=0

0=30m+50m/s t+0.5(-9.8 ,/s^2) t^2
For the quadriatic formula, C= 30 m, B=50 m/s, and A= -4.9 m/s^2

After using the formula the positive answer is t≈10.79 s. Is this correct? Thanks for a reply!

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

A girl is on a ride at an amusement park. She is 30m above the ground and is ascending vertically at 5.0 m/s. While she is ascending, she holds her arm out and releases a penny. How long does it take th penny to reach the ground?

Homework Equations

y=yi+vit+0.5(at^2)

Quadriatic formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

vi=5.0 m/s
yi=30 m
a=-9.8 m/s^2 (Letting up be positive.)
y=0

0=30m+50m/s t+0.5(-9.8 ,/s^2) t^2
For the quadriatic formula, C= 30 m, B=50 m/s, and A= -4.9 m/s^2

After using the formula the positive answer is t≈10.79 s. Is this correct? Thanks for a reply!
Try again. B should be 5.0, not 50.

The initial speed is 5 m/s and not 50 m/s, right?
With 5 m/s the time is about 3s.

Thanks to both of you!

I can't believe I forgot a decimal and thought it was right for the entire million-step problem. I thought the answer was a bit too high. (P.S. @ nasu- Someone is most likely going to come snap at you for giving me a partial answer, but it's not like I'm not reworking the problem anyway. Just a heads up. )

After doing the exact same thing but remembering the decimal: T is approximately 3.04 s.

You already showed your work. You just made an error and I gave you my estimate of the answer.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, I know, I just had somebody else do the same thing and get snapped at, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for all your help! :-)

Also, that is a really great estimate.

You can do it yourself.:smile:
The numbers were nice here. And I took g=10 m/s^2.
So it goes up t1=0.5 s (the speed decreases by 10 m/s every second).
The up distance is [itex]5t_1^2 [/itex] or [itex]5\times (1/2)^2 =5\times (1/4)=1.25 m [/itex]
(5 is g/2 where g is 10 m/s^2; 1/2 is t1=0.5s)

Then it falls freely from 31.5 m. How long it takes?
[itex] t_2^2=31.5/5= 6.25 s^2[/itex]
And this is the square of 2.5. So t2=2.5s and t1=0.5 s, total 3s.
This is the reason for the estimate to be so close. If it were some not so nice a number (a square of something familiar), I'll have to estimate the square root and it will be less accurate.

Doing it by pieces may help you to understand better. But is just a suggestion. :smile:
If it's confusing, just disregard it. I only wanted to show you that it was indeed an estimate, that it can be done without even writing something down.

That's really neat! Thanks!

1. How is the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground calculated?

The time it takes for a penny to reach the ground can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the initial height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Does the weight or mass of the penny affect the time it takes to reach the ground?

Yes, the weight or mass of the penny does affect the time it takes to reach the ground. The heavier the penny, the faster it will fall due to gravity.

3. Why does a penny fall to the ground so quickly?

A penny falls to the ground quickly because of the force of gravity. Gravity is a natural force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth at a constant rate of 9.8 m/s².

4. How does air resistance affect the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground?

Air resistance can affect the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground. Objects with larger surface areas, like a penny, experience more air resistance, which can slow down their fall. However, for smaller heights, air resistance may not have a significant impact on the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground.

5. Can the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground be different on different planets?

Yes, the time it takes for a penny to reach the ground can be different on different planets. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is different on each planet. For example, on Mars, the acceleration due to gravity is about 3.7 m/s², so a penny would take longer to reach the ground compared to on Earth.