How Long Should This Be Taking?

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the progress and challenges of self-studying Spivak's Calculus after completing the BC Calculus curriculum. The speaker is making slow progress but enjoys the frustration of solving problems. There is a debate about the appropriate amount of time to spend on a problem and the comparison is made to playing basketball. The consensus is to take as much time as needed to understand the material and enjoy the learning process.
zooxanthellae
I've recently started working through Spivak's Calculus on my own (after the BC Calculus curriculum) and am making progress, albeit slowly. For example, yesterday I spent a couple of hours doing just 2 problems (1 and 3 in Chapter 2, if anyone's interested). I understand that these problems aren't supposed to be easy "plug and chug", and making the transition from cookbook math to more rigorous work can be rocky, but I'm also wondering if this is abnormal, and my efforts might be better spent elsewhere.

I, frankly, kind of enjoy it (in a frustrating way) but...how slow is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what BC Calculus is, but I've looked at the two problems, and they shouldn't be taking that long. A few minutes, 20 max, perhaps. Although after saying that, I've seen both of the those problems as preparation for final exams in the Ireland version of high school, which doesn't go into as much detail as other countries.

How Long Should This Be Taking?

As long as is necessary. Don't hurry through problems. Mathematics is not a race. With understanding comes speed, but the understanding comes first.

I looked at the problems and problem 3 seems like it could take a while if you aren't used to the stuff. It is quite common for people to sit for really long times working through just a few simple problems, it can take a while to understand the concepts.

Klockan3 said:
I looked at the problems and problem 3 seems like it could take a while if you aren't used to the stuff. It is quite common for people to sit for really long times working through just a few simple problems, it can take a while to understand the concepts.

This is basically how it broke down. Problem 1 took maybe a half hour (because I actually expanded the polynomials and wrote out a lot of apparently unnecessary steps.) Problem 3 took considerably longer.

zooxanthellae said:
... I, frankly, kind of enjoy it (in a frustrating way) but...how slow is this?
emphasis added

I don't see the issue.

If you are enjoying it, who cares how long it takes? Are you trying to learn something, or meet a deadline? Mathematics books, when read for one's own interest, are not meant to be finished in a certain amount of time.

When you understand the material, then you've spent the appropriate amount of time on whatever problem you happen to be working. :smile:

I think that is what is so weird about math. If you don't get it, it can haunt you, if you get it, it's like you are on top of the world.

Dembadon said:
emphasis added

I don't see the issue.

If you are enjoying it, who cares how long it takes? Are you trying to learn something, or meet a deadline? Mathematics books, when read for one's own interest, are not meant to be finished in a certain amount of time.

When you understand the material, then you've spent the appropriate amount of time on whatever problem you happen to be working. :smile:

Well, I'd analogize it to basketball. I like playing basketball, but I'm pretty bad at it, and physically would probably max out at a high-school level. I like it, but at the same time I realize that trying to make a career out of playing basketball would probably not end well.

I don't know what the exact problems you're referring to entail, but I don't see anything wrong with taking all the time you need to work through a problem. Personally, I often spend a great deal of time on a handful of problems, especially when I'm not familiar with he subject matter. I'd much rather understand and complete a small amount of problems than rush through a large amount.

Take your time, and enjoy yourself! That's what makes learning easier.

1. How long should a scientific experiment take?

The length of a scientific experiment can vary greatly depending on the type of experiment being conducted. Some experiments may only take a few hours or days, while others may take weeks, months, or even years. It is important to carefully plan and consider the duration of an experiment in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

2. How long should data collection take?

Data collection can also vary in duration depending on the type of data being collected and the research question being addressed. Some studies may require only a few days of data collection, while others may require months or even years. It is important to ensure that enough data is collected to support any conclusions drawn from the study.

3. How long should a literature review take?

The length of a literature review can vary depending on the scope of the research project. Some literature reviews may only take a few weeks, while others may take months or even years to complete. It is important to thoroughly review and analyze relevant literature in order to provide a comprehensive overview of the research topic.

4. How long should the peer-review process take?

The peer-review process can also vary in duration depending on the specific journal and the responsiveness of reviewers. On average, the peer-review process can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. It is important for authors to be patient and allow enough time for the peer-review process to be completed.

5. How long should it take to publish a scientific paper?

The time it takes to publish a scientific paper can vary depending on the journal and the specific research topic. On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year for a paper to be published. However, it is important to note that the quality of the paper and the accuracy of the research are more important than the length of time it takes to publish.