1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long would it take to get to certain speed if you know Force forward and Mass?

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A frieght train has a mass of 1.5x10^7 kg. The wheels of the locomotive push back on the tracks with a constant net force of 7.5X10^5N, so the tracks push forward on the locomotive with a force of equal magnitude. (ignore aerodynamics and friction) how long would it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to 80km/h?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I was able to calculate the acceleration:

a=F/m

a=7.5*10^5/1.5*10^7

a=5*10^12m/s^2

am I going in the right direction and how would I proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2
    Re: How long would it take to get to certain speed if you know Force forward and Mass

I believe you are on the right track. You need to use one of the kinematics equation though to find the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?