Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How long?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    How long is the line tended between points (0,0) and (1,1) if Y=X^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure why y=x^2 matters, but the distance between (0,0) and (1,1) is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    thanks, but i know that distance, i want know the long of the line.

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

You just got the length of the line between the points. Do you mean this: how long is the portion of the graph of [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] from [tex] x = 0 [/tex] to [tex] x = 1 [/tex]? (That graph is not a line - that could be the cause of the confusion).

6. Sep 17, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note: thread moved from Calculus & Analysis

7. Sep 17, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If I understand what you're asking (which confused a couple of other people), you are asking about the arc length along the curve y = x2 between x = 0 and x = 1. This calculation involves an integral.

What have you done to start this problem?

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    Sorry, how is it not a line? Does line have some extra meaning that I'm missing?

9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

statdad

Homework Helper

"Sorry, how is it not a line? Does line have some extra meaning that I'm missing?"

A line is a graph generated by a linear function. The function [itex] y = x^2 [/itex] is quadratic; you are looking a piece of its graph, which is a parabola.

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    Ahh, I was thinking more "A line is a path that joins two points", regardless of generating function

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook