1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How long?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    How long is the line tended between points (0,0) and (1,1) if Y=X^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure why y=x^2 matters, but the distance between (0,0) and (1,1) is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

4. Sep 17, 2010 #3
    thanks, but i know that distance, i want know the long of the line.

5. Sep 17, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

You just got the length of the line between the points. Do you mean this: how long is the portion of the graph of [tex] y = x^2 [/tex] from [tex] x = 0 [/tex] to [tex] x = 1 [/tex]? (That graph is not a line - that could be the cause of the confusion).

6. Sep 17, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note: thread moved from Calculus & Analysis

7. Sep 17, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If I understand what you're asking (which confused a couple of other people), you are asking about the arc length along the curve y = x2 between x = 0 and x = 1. This calculation involves an integral.

What have you done to start this problem?

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    Sorry, how is it not a line? Does line have some extra meaning that I'm missing?

9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

statdad

Homework Helper

"Sorry, how is it not a line? Does line have some extra meaning that I'm missing?"

A line is a graph generated by a linear function. The function [itex] y = x^2 [/itex] is quadratic; you are looking a piece of its graph, which is a parabola.

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    Ahh, I was thinking more "A line is a path that joins two points", regardless of generating function

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook