Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many 2x2 matricies equal I?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Assuming A is a 2x2 matrix how many different matricies exist such that A^2=I ?
    I am 99% sure the answer is 4 but after putting that down as an answer with supporting evidence I was marked wrong (or atleast not fully correct) so I am stumped as to where to jump and whether or not the grader may ahve just messed up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what was your attempt at proof?

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The grader gave you partial credit because you got the wrong answer but showed the supporting evidence that led you down the wrong path. Consider this matrix:

[tex]A = \bmatrix 0.6 & \phantom{-}1.6 \\ 0.4 & -0.6\endbmatrix[/tex]

There are many, many more of such. Show your logic so we can help show where you went wrong.

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4
    I got 4 equations,

x^2 +yz=1
    xy+yw=0
    zx+wz=0
    zy+w^2=1.

How do I solve this now?

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both of the middle equations (the ones equal to zero) have a common term. For example, xy+yw=0 is the same as (x+w)*y = 0. This means that at least one of x+w or y must be equal to zero. I suspect your four solutions result from setting y and z to zero. What if x+w=0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook