1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many basic states are there?

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four distinguishable particles move freely in a room divided into octants (there are no actual partitions). Let the basic states be given by specifying the octant in which each particle is located.

1. How many basic states are there?
    2. The door to this room is opened, allowing the particles to move into an adjacent, identical room, also divided into octants. Now that the amount of space that can be occupied has been doubled, by what factor has the number of basic states increased?

2. Relevant equations
    Ω=M^N ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I do not even know how to start this problem. I have read the Mazur chapter 19 Entropy, but I still do not quite understand it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So let us start by understading the question. What would you say that a basic state is?

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3
    A basic state, also know as Microstate, is amount of distinguishable particles in a system. Whereas the Macrostate is in a larger scale in describing it by its properties, volume, pressure, temperature, etc.

5. Jan 22, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, this is not correct. A basic state is a possible configuration that completely describes all the particles in the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted