Maximum Bright Fringes for Double Slit Experiment

• Thread starter Starrrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fringes
In summary, when light with a wavelength of 644 nm falls on a double slit with a separation of 3.64 × 10-6 m, the maximum number of bright fringes that can be formed on either side of the central bright fringe is 5. The attempt at a solution using the equation m=dsinθ/λ yields an answer of 5.65, but this should not be rounded and the greatest fringe is therefore 5, not 6.
Starrrrr

Homework Statement

At most, how many bright fringes can be formed on either side of the central bright fringe when light of wavelength 644 nm falls on a double slit whose slit separation is 3.64 × 10-6 m?

Homework Equations

m=dsintheta/lamdba

The Attempt at a Solution

m=(3.64x10e-6)(1)/644x10e-9) = 5.65 which is 6 bright fringes right but the system telling me it's wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the width of each slit? Without this information your question cannot be answered.

That's the full question.

Starrrrr said:

Homework Statement

At most, how many bright fringes can be formed on either side of the central bright fringe when light of wavelength 644 nm falls on a double slit whose slit separation is 3.64 × 10-6 m?

Homework Equations

m=dsintheta/lamdba

The Attempt at a Solution

m=(3.64x10e-6)(1)/644x10e-9) = 5.65 which is 6 bright fringes right but the system telling me it's wrong?[/B]
Can the 6th fringe form?

ehild said:
Can the 6th fringe form?
I'm not sure so I'm guessing no

Starrrrr said:
5.65 which is 6 bright fringes
Last time I checked, 5.65<6.

Starrrrr said:
I'm not sure so I'm guessing no
What would be sin(θ) at the 6th fringe? Is it possible?

The brightness fringe should not be rounded from the equation. so yes the answer from the equation is 5.65. Which makes the greatest fringe 5 not 6.

What is the concept of "bright fringes"?

The concept of "bright fringes" refers to the bright spots or lines that are created when light waves interfere constructively with each other. This phenomenon occurs when two light waves of the same wavelength and in phase with each other overlap, resulting in a higher intensity of light at that point.

How are bright fringes formed?

Bright fringes are formed when light waves interfere constructively with each other. This means that the peaks of one wave overlap with the peaks of another wave, resulting in a higher amplitude and brighter light. This interference occurs due to the wave nature of light, where light behaves as a wave and can interfere with itself.

What factors affect the number of bright fringes?

The number of bright fringes is affected by several factors, including the distance between the light source and the screen, the distance between the two slits or objects that the light passes through, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the angle of incidence and the material properties of the objects can also affect the number of bright fringes.

How can the number of bright fringes be calculated?

The number of bright fringes can be calculated using the equation n = (mλL)/d, where n is the number of bright fringes, m is the order of the bright fringe, λ is the wavelength of the light, L is the distance between the light source and the screen, and d is the distance between the two slits or objects that the light passes through.

What are the applications of studying bright fringes?

The study of bright fringes has several practical applications, including in the field of optics and the development of optical instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and spectrometers. It also has applications in interferometry, a technique used to measure small distances and changes in length. Additionally, understanding bright fringes is essential in studying the wave nature of light and furthering our understanding of the nature of light itself.