How Many Unique 4-Letter Codes Can Be Created from Six Different Letters?

In summary, the problem asks for codes that are formed using the letters A, B, C, D, E, and F. No letter can be used more than once. If this is a review worksheet from a textbook, then the answer is combinations. If this is not a combinations problem, then the hint is to think about what the letters are and what they imply when chosen.
wvcaudill2

Homework Statement

How many 4-letter codes can be formed using the letters A, B, C, D, E, and F? No letter can be used more than once.

Homework Equations

N/A?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really didnt know where to begin . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
if you can only use a letter once, then just start writing it out on paper. Are you sure a letter can only be used once? Or once in each position?

Here is the problem with this question, there is no way to give you a hint without giving you the answer. Seriously.

If this is assigned from a textbook, then the answer is there. The hint is that it is not combinations, that term is not the math term for it.

Im not sure how this is so easy for you. I assume that the question means that no lettter can be used more than once within one of the 4-letter codes. If this is the case, then there are way to many codes to write by hand.

This problem came from a review worksheet. If this is not a combinations problem, then what is it?

Well, think about it. You've got 5 letters, right? And you know that you can't use each letter more than once. So what does that imply each time you've chosen a letter?

frankfjf said:
Well, think about it. You've got 5 letters, right? And you know that you can't use each letter more than once. So what does that imply each time you've chosen a letter?

This implies that after each time I have chosen a letter, there is one less to choose from.

I tried to use n! to find an answer by doing 6x5x4x3x2x1, but the resulting answer was way to large.

Okay, so you know that the available choices diminish by 1 each time you choose a letter. Only other hint I can think of without giving the answer away is to consider if the order the letters appear in is important. IE: Is, say, FBACE the same code as ECABF?

frankfjf said:
Okay, so you know that the available choices diminish by 1 each time you choose a letter. Only other hint I can think of without giving the answer away is to consider if the order the letters appear in is important. IE: Is, say, FBACE the same code as ECABF?

I would think the order is important, but how does that help me?

Well, check your textbook. What are you dealing with when order is important?

frankfjf said:
Well, check your textbook. What are you dealing with when order is important?

I don't have a textbook, but I am thinking permutations. I don't really know how they differ functionally from a combination though.

Sounds good. Permutations are employed when the order in which the objects are chosen matters, such as when ABCDE (in this case) is not the same as EDCBA. If the order of the letters didn't matter (Such as if I asked you to tell me how many ways you can throw 5 random letters together rather than asking you for 5-letter codes) you'd use the formula for combinations instead.

Ok, so I should use n!/(n-r)!

so, 6!/(6-4)! = 360?

The formula you want is one that is used for combinations, i THINK. You want 6 choose 4 or in other words, how many ways can you choose 4 from 6. The formula for n choose r is [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} \Rightarrow \frac{6!}{(6-4)!4!}[/tex]

Last edited:
mynameisfunk said:
The formula you want is one that is used for combinations, i THINK. You want 6 choose 4 or in other words, how many ways can you choose 4 from 6. The formula for n choose r is [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} \Rightarrow \frac{6!}{(6-4)!4!}[/tex]

Originally, I had thought this too, however, I think the order matters here, so the permutation formula must be used.

ok sorry. I might do [tex]6 \times 5 \times 4 \times 3[/tex]

1. How many combinations are possible with a deck of 52 cards?

The number of combinations possible with a deck of 52 cards is 52 factorial, or 52!, which is approximately 8.0658 x 10^67. This means there are over 8 unvigintillion (a number with 67 zeros) possible combinations.

2. How many combinations are possible with a 4-digit pin number?

With a 4-digit pin number, there are 10 options for each digit (0-9), resulting in a total of 10,000 possible combinations.

3. How many combinations are possible with a 6-letter word?

For a 6-letter word, there are 26 options for each letter (assuming only English alphabet), resulting in a total of 26^6, or 308,915,776 possible combinations.

4. How many combinations are possible with a combination lock with 3 numbers?

With a combination lock with 3 numbers, there are 10 options for each number (0-9), resulting in a total of 10^3, or 1,000 possible combinations.

5. How many combinations are possible with a lottery game with 50 numbers to choose from and 5 numbers to pick?

Using the combination formula nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), we can calculate the number of combinations for a lottery game with 50 numbers to choose from and 5 numbers to pick. This results in 50! / (5!(50-5)!) = 2,118,760 possible combinations.