Number of Combinations for Connecting N Villages with One-Way Roads

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for connecting N villages using one-way roads, with the requirement of at least one route between any two villages. The equation used for this problem is combinatorics or graph theory. For N=2, there is only 1 solution, while for N=3, there are 15 solutions. The question remains unclear with regards to the number of routes allowed and any restrictions. The suggested approach is to use recursion and then make it non-recursive using mathematical induction. It is also mentioned that there can only be one route between any two villages.
Pzi

Homework Statement

There are N villages which have to be connected using one-way roads in a manner that for every two villages there exists at least one route to travel from one to another.
How many different solutions are there?

Homework Equations

This fits pretty well not only into combinatorics but also in a graph theory.

The Attempt at a Solution

For N=2 there is only 1 trivial solution.
For N=3 there seems to be 15 solutions, but it's done by writing out the combinations and does not lead to general solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not proposing an answer, but I don't think you have well stated the question. Can there be more than one route that works for two cities? Is there some limit on how many roads can enter/leave a city? What are the restrictions?

Perhaps you should start out by trying to find some recursive solution, and then using mathematical induction to make it non-recursive. A lot of solutions to problems such as this in Graph Theory involve recursivity. (Is that a word?)

LCKurtz said:
I'm not proposing an answer, but I don't think you have well stated the question. Can there be more than one route that works for two cities? Is there some limit on how many roads can enter/leave a city? What are the restrictions?

I am guessing it should be no more than 1 route from any A to any B.

Whovian said:
recursivity. (Is that a word?)

The word is "recursion" :)

1. How many combinations can be made from a set of N items?

The number of combinations that can be made from a set of N items is equal to 2 to the power of N, or 2^N. This is because for each item, there are two possible options - it can either be included in the combination or not. Therefore, the total number of combinations is equal to 2 multiplied by itself N times.

2. Does the order of items matter when calculating combinations?

No, the order of items does not matter when calculating combinations. Combinations are a way of selecting a group of items from a larger set, without considering their order. This is different from permutations, where the order of items does matter.

3. How do I calculate the number of combinations with repetition?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations with repetition is (N+r-1)! / (r!(N-1)!), where N is the total number of items and r is the number of items in each combination. This formula is based on the concept of combinations with replacement, where the same item can be chosen more than once in a combination.

4. Can I have a different number of items in each combination?

Yes, you can have a different number of items in each combination. This is known as a combination with varying sizes. For example, if you have a set of 5 items and want to create combinations of 2, 3, or 4 items, you can use the formula (N+r-1)! / (r!(N-1)!), where N is the total number of items and r is the number of items in each combination.

5. How many combinations can be made from a set of N items if only certain items can be chosen together?

If only certain items can be chosen together, then the number of combinations will depend on the specific rules and restrictions. In this case, you will need to consider the combinations as a series of smaller sets, where each set only includes items that can be chosen together. The total number of combinations will then be the product of the number of combinations in each set.