How many conjugates does the permutation (123)

In summary, the question is asking how many conjugates the permutation (123) has in the group S3. The provided solution makes use of the stabilizer-orbit relationship to determine that the size of the conjugacy class is equal to the index of the stabilizer. It is shown that the stabilizer must contain at least <(123)>, and if it were to contain more, it would have to be all of S3. Therefore, the centralizer, which is a subgroup of the stabilizer, is exactly <(123)>. This is because if it contained any other element, such as (12), it would also have to contain (132), making the centralizer larger than <(123)>. As a result
dsta

Homework Statement

How many conjugates does the permutation (123) have in the group S3 of all permutations on 3 letters? Give brief reasons for your answers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers were provided for this question, but after going carefully through it, I still don't know what's going on at one point in the answer, which may prove crucial to my understanding of the problem (where I've put question marks). Below is the solution provided:

"We can use the stabilizer-orbit relationship to see that the size of the conjugacy class of (123) is equal to the index of the stabilizer. But the stabilizer is a subgroup of S3 which contains at least <(123)> [? why]. If it were to contain more then it must be all of S3 (by Lagrange's theorem) and so contain, for example, (12). But (12)(123)(12)-1 = (132) and so the centralizer is exactly <(123)> [?]. Since it has order 3, it also has index 2 and so (123) has 2 conjugates."

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why the stabilizer contains (123) and why the centralizer is exactly <(123)>. Can someone explain this? Thanks a lot.

1. How many conjugates does the permutation (123)?

The number of conjugates for a permutation is equal to the number of cycles in its cycle decomposition. In the permutation (123), there is only one cycle, so there is only one conjugate.

2. What is a conjugate in permutation?

In permutation, a conjugate is a rearrangement of the elements in a permutation while maintaining the same cycle structure. This means that the same number of cycles and the same length of each cycle remains unchanged.

3. How do you find the conjugate of a permutation?

To find the conjugate of a permutation, you can use the formula (i1 i2 ... ik)(j1 j2 ... jl) = (i1 j1)(i1 j2)...(i1 jl)(i2 j1)...(ik jl), where (i1 i2 ... ik) and (j1 j2 ... jl) are the two permutations with the same cycle structure.

4. Can a permutation have more than one conjugate?

Yes, a permutation can have more than one conjugate. The number of conjugates is equal to the number of cycles in the permutation's cycle decomposition.

5. How do the conjugates of a permutation relate to each other?

The conjugates of a permutation are all related by a process called conjugation. This means that they can be obtained from each other by rearranging the elements while maintaining the same cycle structure.