Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many countries can you name

1. Jun 2, 2016 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2016 #2
    196/196 with 6:56 to spare.

But I must confess that I have practised this a couple of months ago on Sporcle without map and without alphabetical list to remind you of those pesky Caribbean or Pacific islands you accidentally skipped.
    Grenada and Micronesia, I'm looking at you

For those that want to practice capitals as well (4:30 left on the clock on this one, albeit after 9 tries):
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/randomhandle/world_countries_and_capital

I have found these lists to be very addictive. And now I have to make an account on the website you provided; why can't I resist that level based system... Sigh, there goes my sleep :)

4. Jun 2, 2016 #3
    Can't remember what the site's name was, but I like the one where they give you a 3D picture of a place on the Earth and you have to guess by looking around where it is. Then they take the distance from where you guessed to where it really is and that's how you keep score. Lowest score wins. Can't really cheat on this one either (not saying anyone would, of course).

5. Jun 2, 2016 #4
    149 out of 196 (first try), but yeah about 5 years ago a friend and I pretty much memorized every country and capital and flag. It just started as a simple game, but eventually it became very competitive..

That link by the way says "Quiz Not Found", but I also remember another site where you could also memorize the flags of each country. If I am bored maybe I try to get my skill level back to 100% :P

6. Jun 3, 2016 #5
  7. Jun 3, 2016 #6

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I named 192 out of 196. I missed Monaco (in Europe), Saint Lucia (in North America), and the Marshall Islands and Nauru (in Oceania).

8. Jun 3, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

103/196 with my first try :frown: You people are good!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  9. Jun 3, 2016 #8
    I'm 58/196 :(

10. Jun 3, 2016 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I attempted this during a conference call at work and got interrupted with about 7 minutes remaining. 130/196. I was running out of steam anyway, my weak points were central Asia ("stan" countries and their neighbors), west Africa, and the various Pacific islands.

11. Jun 3, 2016 #10

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well that makes me feel a bit better :woot:

....and then again I wasted 15 minutes playing a geography game :olduhh:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  12. Jun 3, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I missed
    1. Moldova
    2. Cape Verde
    3. São Tomé and Príncipe
    4. Palau
    5. Comoros
    6. Mauritius
    7. Guinea-Bissau
    They missed Niue. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted