How many craft beer fans we got on this?

• Thread starter dreimd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, In the morning, an Orval was enjoyed by the speaker. They also mentioned that they like Stouts and Porters, Belgian beers, and anything else that is not mass-produced. They also mentioned they like making their own beer. Lastly, they said they drink now anything but mass-produced Budweiser.
dreimd
Ok so how many craft beer fans we got on this?

This morning I had an Orval and it was delicious. What beers do you guys drink when working or studying or doing neither?

Physics news on Phys.org

whats a craft beer?

We have a wonderful micro-brewery in the area. Oak Pond Brewery makes some fine ales and beers, including small-batch seasonal brews. You can buy it in conventional bottles, growlers, and kegs.

I really liked the North Coast line of craft brews when I lived in Sonoma County, and it's been nice to see them expanding to other parts of the nation (I actually found a North Coast in a Boston pub as long ago as 2002). I've only visited Portland, OR once, but it was a beer lover's dream. It claimed to have the most microbreweries per capita of any city in the world and every bar/restaurant in the city seemed to be attached to one.

nucleargirl said:
whats a craft beer?

Oh basically anything that's not massed produce to the extent bud is. Sam Adams counts.

A more thorough definition is 'Craft Beer is an American term which is also common in Canada and New Zealand and generally refers to beer that is brewed using traditional methods, without adjuncts such as rice or corn, and with an eye (or a tongue) to what's distinctive and flavorful rather than mass appeal.'

loseyourname said:
... when I lived in Sonoma County.

Did you get a chance to try some Russian River brews.

I am a craft homebrewer.

Insanity said:
I am a craft homebrewer.
I was too, years ago. Got my hops from beside an old barn up the road from me.

Ciechan miodowy.

Homebrewers, what was one of your fav beers you made?

And what do you drink now?

Borek said:
Ciechan miodowy.
Hmm. Honey beer. Never had one.

dreimd said:
Ok so how many craft beer fans we got on this?

This morning I had an Orval and it was delicious. What beers do you guys drink when working or studying or doing neither?

This morning?

dreimd said:
Did you get a chance to try some Russian River brews.

Yes. Lagunitas was also brewed locally in Petaluma.

There's a dormant beer thread around GD somewhere.

I prefer Stouts and Porters. Samuel Smith's (from Tadcaster, UK) has great Stouts and Porters. In the UK, I'll drink Murphy's or Guinness Stout.

I like Belgian beers like Chimay Red.

Not too far from me (day trip) is Ommegang Brewery. They have some good stuff based on Belgian ales.

Also, if one is familiar with Stone Brewery, they have some great home brews and an exceptional list of craft beers.
http://www.stonebrew.com/home.asp# - they have some awesome Stouts and Porters.

loseyourname said:
Yes. Lagunitas was also brewed locally in Petaluma.
Spent a few days in Russian River Valley a few years ago. Don't think I drank any beer while I was there - who knew? Plenty of Pinot and Syrah, though.

Astro, I'm a sucker for the Chimay Red too!

Gokul43201 said:
Astro, I'm a sucker for the Chimay Red too!
I'll have a bottle waiting for you. :wink:

If one does get to the Stone Brewery, try The Angel's Share from The Lost Abbey / Port Brewing Co. It's about $40/bottle. Very unique!

The Lost Abby has some really unusual and unique beers.

The Chimays are indeed tasty beers and fun to share. I can't say I like stouts much (with the exception being coffee or espresso stouts) and hops is not really my thing too much. This pretty much leaves me in the land of tripels, golden ales, hefes and wit beers as far standard beers go.

However, I also do love goozes and sours. These always surprise people when they frist try one.

dreimd said:
Homebrewers, what was one of your fav beers you made?

And what do you drink now?

I've made a fair number of darker ales; stouts, scotch ales, porters...all pretty good.

This summer I decided that I was going to brew light color ales and have made a witbier, barley wine, pale ale, just brewed a wheat beer base for a raspberry wheat. I think the pale ale is among the top of my brewed favs. Maybe it was using whole hops and dry hopping it, but it was good. Prior to I've said I never really liked hoppy beer, but I think I do now. It was not as hoppy as an IPA, but good balance. I am truly thinking fresh whole hops makes awesome beer, don't really get that from Budweiser in my opinion.

I made a mead several years ago and once it aged a few years, it was awesome. One tall glass was enough for me, 12.5+%. The barley wine I just did is ~11.5%, and I intend to let it age some. Hide it in the basement and forget about it for a while.

Since May-ish I've brewed about 40 gallons of beer, of various styles as I mentioned above, and I want to brew more. Stock up the basement for a while.

The beer I've made is terrific, if you're a big fan of raw bread dough.

I sell my humble crop of barley to a micro-brewery, they make a yummy Pilsner, which they simply call Atwater Michigan Lager. Its been my beer of choice for several years now.

hypatia said:
I sell my humble crop of barley to a micro-brewery, they make a yummy Pilsner, which they simply call Atwater Michigan Lager. Its been my beer of choice for several years now.

And that would be the Atwater Block Brewery in Detroit, correct?

hypatia said:
We could use you in Maine. Grain has practically died out as a crop here, but is experiencing a slow-steady resurgence. Amber Lambke has bought the old Somerset county jail building, with the intent of leasing space to millers and bakers, and providing local farmers with a local demand for high-quality grains.

There was a 3-4 day workshop here this year, sponsored in part by King Arthur flour. My wife bought a DVD on making artisan breads from King Arthur's master baker. She now makes the most heavenly French breads! Light and airy, with crusts that tempt the teeth and lots of large internal voids that beg you to toast the bread to provide places for the butter to reside.

hypatia said:
Hypatia you never cease to amaze me!

turbo-1 said:
We have a wonderful micro-brewery in the area. Oak Pond Brewery makes some fine ales and beers, including small-batch seasonal brews. You can buy it in conventional bottles, growlers, and kegs.
Yeah - I noticed it too late to stop in. Next time I'm out that way, I'll definitely stop in.

hypatia said:
You have a crop of barely? I'm thinking malt and Scotch!

Astronuc said:
You have a crop of barely? I'm thinking malt and Scotch!
It's a 'umble crop, so it's barely barley.

Insanity said:
And that would be the Atwater Block Brewery in Detroit, correct?

Yes, one of Detroit's best kept secrets.

I tried making my own beer several years ago. It was horrid.

hypatia said:
Yes, one of Detroit's best kept secrets.

I tried making my own beer several years ago. It was horrid.

Do you recall what you did in the process of making it?
One important thing most people don't realize is that everything that comes in contact with the beer after the boil must be sanitary, else some foreign fungus or yeast does the fermenting, which is bad.

1. How do you define a craft beer fan?

A craft beer fan is someone who is passionate about craft beer and actively seeks out and enjoys trying new and unique beers from independent breweries.

2. How do you determine the number of craft beer fans?

The number of craft beer fans can be determined through market research and surveys, as well as sales data from craft breweries and retailers.

3. Is the number of craft beer fans increasing or decreasing?

According to recent data, the number of craft beer fans is steadily increasing as the craft beer industry continues to grow and gain popularity.

4. What demographic tends to be the biggest craft beer fans?

The biggest demographic of craft beer fans tend to be millennials, followed by Gen Xers and Baby Boomers. However, craft beer is becoming increasingly popular among all age groups.

5. How does the number of craft beer fans vary by region?

The number of craft beer fans varies by region, with some areas having a higher concentration of craft beer enthusiasts than others. This can be influenced by factors such as the availability of craft breweries and the cultural attitudes towards craft beer in that region.