Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many criminals live near you?

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2
    None. Cool.

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3
    Egads. The map shows approx. 1 mile radius of my house. There is one V (violent), four T's (Theft/Robbery) about 2 dozen O's (Traffic/Other) and easily 50 Mu's (Multiple Crimes). One shudders to think what these multiple guys are up to. After living here nearly 15 years I'm probably going to start locking my door at night.

5. Aug 22, 2008 #4
    1 Mu.

How is this legal? I guess criminal charges are public record?

6. Aug 22, 2008 #5
    I have actually live right next door (20ft) from a sex offender.

7. Aug 22, 2008 #6
    I found two old teachers who committed sex crimes against minors...!:redface:

8. Aug 22, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other than traffic offenses, the rest are showing up mostly in areas with student apartments and trailer parks (also many occupied by students), so not much of a surprise there. Not all that many though, considering the number of students in the town. Maybe drunk and disorderly doesn't get counted. :biggrin:

9. Aug 22, 2008 #8
    In a state registry, I found over twenty sex offenders in my city. This list showed two.

10. Aug 22, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No criminals, one registered sex offender nearby, he's only 22 now and his crime is "indecent liberties with a minor", so probably got caught with his girlfriend a few years ago.

11. Aug 22, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

None? we got the last in the final witch hunt, great burgers that night.

12. Aug 22, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy crap! there's a rapist one street behind me!!!! :surprised

Offense Description:
    RAPE BY FORCE

Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 220 lbs
    Eye Color: Brown
    Hair Color: Black
    Ethnicity: Black

He's a big guy!

13. Aug 22, 2008 #12
    Can you identity people who committed the crime?

Doesn't this make it harder for criminals to get back into the society?

14. Aug 22, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It gave me the guy's name and picture!

15. Aug 22, 2008 #14
    Couldn't count them, especially with all the overlaps. This is about 1 sq mile

[​IMG]

16. Aug 22, 2008 #15
    1. Definitely not good for people who are trying to get back into the society :shy:.
    2. Bad for general public too - spreads fear

==> BAD SOCIETY :grumpy:!

17. Aug 22, 2008 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good heavens! My city is overrun with rapists and pedophiles. I've got to stop looking at this map.

I wish I hadn't given away my crossbow now. :frown:

18. Aug 22, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, ekrim - that's really a lot! Be careful :eek: !

I have one sex offender in my part of the world (that this database knows about, anyway). But tell you what, I live next to the biggest jerk you'll ever want to come across. Too bad there isn't a map of jerks, I wouldn't have moved here if I had known.

19. Aug 22, 2008 #18
    In the past five years, we've had our car stolen, two burglaries during the day where we were completely cleaned out, car windows broken, and one attempted home invasion thwarted by me.

20. Aug 22, 2008 #19
    Yeah, I'm looking at a long list of sex offenders, mostly child molesters, and only two appear in that link.

Worse, I recognized one from work. I know if I say anything, he'll be fired. And that'll put him in an excellent position to sue me. At least there aren't any children where I work.

21. Aug 22, 2008 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

At my job, you can make anonymous tips to HR. If you think he's a child molester and not some poor guy that was 18 and arrested for sleeping with his 17 year old girlfriend, you could always print it out and leave it on his manager's desk. Just come in early or stay late when no one else is around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?