• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go through t

How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go through the black spaces?

http://i.imgur.com/HCSoD.png

This is the original image. Essentially, how can I get to X abiding by checker rules (a piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time by only moving on the white squares. How many paths are there in total?

I counted two, because in order to get to the square directly beneath you, you must go either left then right or right then left. After that there is only one path to the x.
There is no way to go around the black squares to the left.

This is correct, right?

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi SeththeBaller! :wink:
… Essentially, how can I get to X abiding by checker rules (a piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time by only moving on the white squares. How many paths are there in total?

HCSoD.png

I counted two, because in order to get to the square directly beneath you, you must go either left then right or right then left. After that there is only one path to the x.
There is no way to go around the black squares to the left.

This is correct, right?
Yep, looks like it! :smile:

Me, too. All (i.e., both) paths have to go through the white square on the right side, in the 5th row up from the lower left corner. From that square there is only one path to the X.

Thanks guys!