1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go through t

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go through the black spaces?

http://i.imgur.com/HCSoD.png

This is the original image. Essentially, how can I get to X abiding by checker rules (a piece can only move diagonally forwards by one square at a time by only moving on the white squares. How many paths are there in total?

I counted two, because in order to get to the square directly beneath you, you must go either left then right or right then left. After that there is only one path to the x.
    There is no way to go around the black squares to the left.

This is correct, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SeththeBaller! :wink:
    Yep, looks like it! :smile:

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go throu

Me, too. All (i.e., both) paths have to go through the white square on the right side, in the 5th row up from the lower left corner. From that square there is only one path to the X.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    Re: How many different ways can I get to the square marked with X if I can't go throu

Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook