1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many electrons

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Part A (which I already got right) A person scuffing her feet on a wool rug on a dry day accumulates a net charge of -72.1 uC. How many excess electrons does this person get?
    Part B (Which is what I need help on) Given the static charge buildup in the previous question, what is the magnitude of the force on an electron at a distance 6.03 m from the person?

2. Relevant equations
    So i thought that what you would do is simply find how many coulombs are in an electron, which is 1.6E-19 C. Then convert the uC to C and you would get .000072 C or 7.2E-5 C. So i divided the 7.2E-5 by the 1.6E-19 and got 4.5E14 which was the correct answer. But the part I need help with is finding the magnitude of the force. I would think I could just use coulombs law but I am not really sure what my q1 and q2 would be. Would I use 7.2E-5 and the 4.5E14? or would i use something else?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did
    F=((8.9E9)(4.5E14)(7.2E-5))/6.03^2 and got an answer of 7.9E18 N. which was wrong. not sure where i went wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    Yes colombs law, its asking you what force a SINGLE electron would experience, 6.03m away from the person..

Try treating the person as a single charge. Find out what the charge of an electron is, and try colombs law.

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    Well the charge of a single electron is 1.6E-19 C. so would it be then
    F=(8.9E9)(1.6E-19)/6.03^2? cause i tried that and it was still wrong. Would the equation just be then kQ/r^2 or would it be kQ^2/r^2
    just not sure

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    Colombs law is [tex] F = \frac{kQ_1Q_2}{r^2} [/tex]

It measures the force two charges exerts on eachother at a given distance r. So if one charge is the charge of an electron, the other charge is?

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    thank you so much. got it. so it was using the charge of the net charge from what i was given. the 7.2uC

7. Jan 21, 2010 #6
    I'm stuck on this problem too. Did you end up using
    (k)(charge of girl)(charge of electron)/r^2?

8. Jan 21, 2010 #7
    you do k(charge of how many she accumulated)(charge of electron)/r^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook