How many excess electrons?

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of excess electrons on a negatively charged balloon with 2.4 μC of charge, given that the elemental charge is 1.6e-19 C. The answer is calculated to be 1.5e13 electrons, but the online homework system is not accepting it in any format. The participants suggest trying different formats and adding the word "electrons" to the answer, but the issue seems to be with the system itself.
jaydnul
Homework Statement

A negatively charge balloon has 2.4 μC of charge. How many excess electrons are on this balloon? The elemental charge is 1.6e-19 C. Answer in units of electrons.

The attempt at a solution

I keep getting 1.5e13 electrons but the system is telling me it's wrong. I put it in many different forms and it still won't take it. (ex: 15000000000000)

Is there something that I'm missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can confirm your answer, and I don't know which format the website wants if 1.5e13 and 15000000000000 are not accepted.

Thanks anyways. I hate these online homework systems.

How about 1.5e+13?

The problem says "Answer in units of electrons." Could it be as simple as adding the word "electrons" to the result?

I tried 1.5e13, 1.5e+13, 15000000000000, and 1.5e13 electrons. All of those answers register as the same. It says "You have already tried this answer". Gonna chalk this up as an error on their part. I'm sure my prof will get extra points.

Thanks anyways guys...

Jd0g33 said:
All of those answers register as the same. It says "You have already tried this answer".
Well, at least the code to analyze answers is good :D.
We all agree on the numerical value here, so the error is somewhere in the question or answer.

1. How many excess electrons can an atom have?

An atom can have any number of excess electrons, but typically only up to three or four. This is because as the number of excess electrons increases, the repulsive forces between them become stronger, making it more difficult for additional electrons to be added.

2. How do excess electrons affect the properties of an atom?

Excess electrons can significantly alter the properties of an atom. For example, they can increase the atom's size, change its chemical reactivity, and even make it more conductive or magnetic.

3. Can an atom have both excess electrons and a positive charge?

No, an atom cannot have both excess electrons and a positive charge. This is because excess electrons are negatively charged, so if an atom has an overall positive charge, it means it has lost electrons, not gained them.

4. How do you determine the number of excess electrons an atom has?

The number of excess electrons in an atom can be determined by comparing the number of electrons it has to the number it would have in its most stable state. For example, an atom with one extra electron would have one more electron than its neutral state.

5. Can excess electrons be removed from an atom?

Yes, excess electrons can be removed from an atom through various methods such as chemical reactions, exposure to light, or passing an electric current through it. However, the number of excess electrons an atom can lose is limited by its outermost electron shell and the stability of its overall structure.