1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many folders?

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    Hi All,

Quick disclaimer – I'm no math genius ;)

I have written a quick script that take as it's input the number of levels you'd like to iterate and the number of folders at each level you'd like to create.

So you have 4 base folders, in each folder you have 4 more folders etc. 4 levels deep.

The math to calculate how many folders there are at the end of the day looks something like this:

4^4 + 4^3 + 4^2 + 4^1

I can do this math manually, but I have no idea how to create a formula that allows me to plug in any number. Lets say I wanted to go 12 levels deep .. how many folders would I end up with? I can do this manually of course, but then I would learn nothing and run into the same problem a yeaqr from now when I need to do the same math with 1000 folders ;)

I'm trying to do this in Excel \ Open Office so any formula references you can give would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Warrick

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's a geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}r^i=\frac{1-r^{n+1}}{1-r}[/tex]

(r not equal to 1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?