How many folks on here own boats?

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about boat ownership and experiences with different types of boats. The participants share details about their own boats, ranging from a remote control boat to a fiberglass hull that was pieced together with different parts. Some participants mention going fishing or enjoying the feeling of being out on the water, while others joke about the expenses and challenges of owning a boat. Overall, the conversation highlights the diversity of boats and the love-hate relationship that comes with boat ownership.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just curioius, how many folks on here own boats? If you so desire please post details such as age, history, what you typically use it for (smuggling and such, just kidding), type of motor, size of boat, etc.

ALL types of boats are welcome. If you have a canoe that you bought on a whim and have only used it once by all means post!

Physics news on Phys.org
My dad owns a pretty sweet bass boat. We've gotten up to about 70mph. Too bad I'm not that much of a fisherman like him.

Well it's not necessarily about catching the fish although it's always nice. To me it's about enjoying being out there regardless of whether you catch anything. Otherwise it's just a big letdown if you come back without. Entropy, do you know how big the boat is? 70 MPH? WOW!

My family used to have a Paper Tiger catamaran and a Stedgecraft motorboat. I think they still have a canoo somewhere. I used to drive a warship now and then.

I have a remote control boat. Doesn't quite make it up to 70mph, but hey...I have a boat =)

My wife and I have a canoe. :smile:

Hmmmm. No one else?

I own a fiberglass sabot hull that I bought for $20. I bought a windsurfer mast, also for $20. I got a very nice wooden rudder for $5, and a sloop jib sail for a dollar. I still need a cenerboard. Someday I'll configure all these together into some kind of strange vessel.

I have a couple of windsurfing boards, and we used to have a canoe when my dad was into watery graves and risking his life. My grandad keeps threatening to buy a boat and call it "Mancunian Lad".

Hey zoob, let us know how it all turns out. That is not unlike something I would try. LOL I saw 2 sailboats sell at auction yesterday for around $1500 each. They were probably about 30 feet long each. I don't know a lot about sailboats but I thought if a person wanted a sailboat they would have been a couple of real bargains. Mostly they just needed cleaning up. The auctioneer bought them for the trailers. The trailers were easily worth that. There are few places around where I live that would be large enough to use a boat like that.

When I was a kid we had a small outboard that we used for ocean fishing. I spent half of the time hanging over the side of the boat chumming the water. I loved to go but sitting in a 16 foot boat in three or four foot swells for hours and hours and hours, rocking and rising and falling, the smell of fish slowly growing more and more intense and bothersome...I think I need to lay on the couch now...

I now adhere to the truism that the day you buy a boat is one of the two best days in your life. The other best day is the day that you sell the boat. I guess for die hards this is not true.

Its just a bass boat, seats about 4, maybe 5, with a 200hp Mercury motor.

1. How many people on this forum own boats?

Unfortunately, as a scientist, I do not have access to the specific data from this forum. However, according to a study conducted by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 11.87% of US households own a boat as of 2020.

2. What percentage of boat owners are recreational vs commercial?

According to data from the US Coast Guard, approximately 87% of registered boats in the US are used for recreational purposes, while the remaining 13% are used for commercial purposes.

3. How many boat owners are male vs female?

According to a survey conducted by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 75% of boat owners in the US are male, while 25% are female.

4. What is the average age of boat owners?

According to data from the National Marine Manufacturers Association, the average age of boat owners in the US is 57 years old.

5. How many boat owners have multiple boats?

According to a survey conducted by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, 50% of boat owners in the US own multiple boats.