Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many folks on here own boats?

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1
    Just curioius, how many folks on here own boats? If you so desire please post details such as age, history, what you typically use it for (smuggling and such, just kidding), type of motor, size of boat, etc.

ALL types of boats are welcome. If you have a canoe that you bought on a whim and have only used it once by all means post!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2
    My dad owns a pretty sweet bass boat. We've gotten up to about 70mph. Too bad I'm not that much of a fisherman like him.

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3
    Well it's not necessarily about catching the fish although it's always nice. To me it's about enjoying being out there regardless of whether you catch anything. Otherwise it's just a big letdown if you come back without. Entropy, do you know how big the boat is? 70 MPH? WOW!

5. Aug 9, 2004 #4
    My family used to have a Paper Tiger catamaran and a Stedgecraft motorboat. I think they still have a canoo somewhere. I used to drive a warship now and then.

6. Aug 9, 2004 #5
    I have a remote control boat. Doesn't quite make it up to 70mph, but hey...I have a boat =)

7. Aug 9, 2004 #6
    My wife and I have a canoe. :smile:

8. Aug 9, 2004 #7
    Hmmmm. No one else?

9. Aug 11, 2004 #8
    I own a fiberglass sabot hull that I bought for $20. I bought a windsurfer mast, also for $20. I got a very nice wooden rudder for $5, and a sloop jib sail for a dollar. I still need a cenerboard. Someday I'll configure all these together into some kind of strange vessel.

10. Aug 11, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

I have a couple of windsurfing boards, and we used to have a canoe when my dad was into watery graves and risking his life. My grandad keeps threatening to buy a boat and call it "Mancunian Lad".

11. Aug 11, 2004 #10
    Hey zoob, let us know how it all turns out. That is not unlike something I would try. LOL I saw 2 sailboats sell at auction yesterday for around $1500 each. They were probably about 30 feet long each. I don't know alot about sailboats but I thought if a person wanted a sailboat they would have been a couple of real bargains. Mostly they just needed cleaning up. The auctioneer bought them for the trailers. The trailers were easily worth that. There are few places around where I live that would be large enough to use a boat like that.

12. Aug 11, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was a kid we had a small outboard that we used for ocean fishing. I spent half of the time hanging over the side of the boat chumming the water. I loved to go but sitting in a 16 foot boat in three or four foot swells for hours and hours and hours, rocking and rising and falling, the smell of fish slowly growing more and more intense and bothersome...I think I need to lay on the couch now...

I now adhere to the truism that the day you buy a boat is one of the two best days in your life. The other best day is the day that you sell the boat. I guess for die hards this is not true.

13. Aug 11, 2004 #12
    Its just a bass boat, seats about 4, maybe 5, with a 200hp Mercury motor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?