How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

In summary, there are a total of 14 forum members it takes to change a light bulb. Seven of these members are needed to post about the experience of changing a light bulb, while five of these members are needed to flame any posts that may contain incorrect information about changing light bulbs. Finally, three industry professionals inform the group that the proper term for a light bulb is "lamp." Fifteen members post about their knowledge of light bulbs, with thirteen of these posts being quoted in their entirety. Finally, one forum lurker responds to the original post 6 months from now and starts the whole process over again.
skywise
Q:
How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

A:
* 1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

* 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

* 7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

* 1 to move it to the Lighting section

* 2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

* 7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

* 5 to flame the spell checkers

* 3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

* 6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

* 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

* 15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

* 19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

* 11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

* 36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

* 7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

* 4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

* 3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

* 13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

* 5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

* 4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

* 13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

* 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: lol, I hope you didn't post it out of frustration

Nope, it's an old joke from years ago. As true now as it was when it was conceived.

It doesn't hold true on most forums due to a lack of members, but it certainly holds true on Anandtech.

I call the forum lurker position!

Skywise, that's hysterical! :biggrin:

This is a physics forum, and not a lightbulb (light bulb) forum. Please move it to the appropriate forum (or the lighting section). :biggrin:

motai said:
This is a physics forum, and not a lightbulb (light bulb) forum. Please move it to the appropriate forum (or the lighting section). :biggrin:
Lightbulbs may only be changed from the electrical engineering section of the forums and under the supervision of an engineering mentor.

lol, very funny. Its like a physicsforums horoscope. Skywise, you forgot to mention someone who would argue about the exact definition of a light bulb vs. lightbulb vs.lamp.

Darn it, you stole my cue. :frown:

The notion that a light bulb can be "changed" (changed into what?) is tantamount either to alchemy or magic, and belongs either in Theory Development or Skepticism and Debunking. Either way, there is no number of PF members who will be able to accomplish such a "change".

Since a light bulb is the common symbol for an idea, it can be changed by changing one's mind. How many PF posters do that?

Likes gracy
Perhaps the "change" is within the person. If that is the case, then it belongs in the Metaphysics and Epistemology forum.

This project is going nowhere, it requires an Environmental Impact Report.

the high efficiency of an LED/fiber optic combination negates the need for a wasteful, heat generating "light bulb"

I invented a solar powered light bulb.

motai said:
Perhaps the "change" is within the person. If that is the case, then it belongs in the Metaphysics and Epistemology forum.

You are implying a faulty Cartesian Theater model here. Daniel Dennett has clearly shown that the mind is nothing above and beyond the brain. Therefore any posts regarding the changing of light bulbs involves the changing of one's systematic pattern of neural activation in the frontal and inferior temporal lobes, and thus any posts on the matter belong in the Biology forum.

wow...just wow

Skywise, that's just a riot! :biggrin:

wwow is right. I'm happy to see this was so thoroughly enjoyed. :approve:

Let's not forget the 932 crackpots who will argue till the end that everything being taught in schools about lightbulbs is false, and the last and only Bastion of Truth of All Things Lightbulbical is to be found on their personal geocities website, because the referees of establishment lightbulb research journals keep supressing their obviously true ideas.

Well, since JimmyP has been sleeping on the job, I'll take over the role of the former lurker who resurrects the thread. See, this is what happens when someone creates a "best of" thread and brings these funny ones to the attention of former lurkers :wink:

Oh, and since we're also missing links to sites with pictures of light bulbs, I felt I needed to help with that too :rofl:

http://www.bulbcollector.com/light_bulb.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
You all fail to realize the truth, there is no "bulb", only "light".

For this, you all face eternal torment from being touced by hot "bulbs" that you so erroneously believe in. Heathens.

Ps: And if it weren't for your "bulb" establishment suppressing my oblviously true ideas, i wouldn't ahve had to bring this up in mixed company...

...Heathens.

You have all gone mad.

Nice work Skywise. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. This should be in the 'I don't know where this thread should go' section. :shy:

Moonbear said:
Well, since JimmyP has been sleeping on the job, I'll take over the role of the former lurker who resurrects the thread. See, this is what happens when someone creates a "best of" thread and brings these funny ones to the attention of former lurkers :wink:

Oh, and since we're also missing links to sites with pictures of light bulbs, I felt I needed to help with that too :rofl:

http://www.bulbcollector.com/light_bulb.html [Broken]

I think one has to consider the biased opinion spouted by this website before deciding how much credence to give it.

In the pre-1900 section, there were 4 Buckeye bulbs and not a single Cornhusker bulb?! Give me a break. At least the Buckeye lamps all received a rating of 0.00 - (Now watch Gokul go and rectify that :rofl: )

By the way, the Aerolux Cosmos lamp in the neon glow lights is pretty cool - well deserving of its 9.50 rating.

BobG said:
I think one has to consider the biased opinion spouted by this website before deciding how much credence to give it.

What evidence do you have that they are biased? Just because they don't support your opinions on light bulbs doesn't automatically mean they are biased. This is a reputable light bulb site, not one of your crackpot sites arguing the existence of Cornhusker bulbs. :rofl: :biggrin:

BobG said:

In the pre-1900 section, there were 4 Buckeye bulbs and not a single Cornhusker bulb?! Give me a break. At least the Buckeye lamps all received a rating of 0.00 - (Now watch Gokul go and rectify that :rofl: )

By the way, the Aerolux Cosmos lamp in the neon glow lights is pretty cool - well deserving of its 9.50 rating.

Funny ! I've heard the husker bulbs were stuck in the dark ages until some westerner came by to enlighten them.

Moonbear said:
What evidence do you have that they are biased? Just because they don't support your opinions on light bulbs doesn't automatically mean they are biased. This is a reputable light bulb site, not one of your crackpot sites arguing the existence of Cornhusker bulbs. :rofl: :biggrin:

I take all the bad things I said about them back.

What a cool site. If you go back to the home page, they have a section for old radio vacuum tubes, X-ray tubes, and so on.

They even have their own forum. A priceless discussion: http://www.bulbcollector.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000415.html [Broken]

BobG said:

What a cool site. If you go back to the home page, they have a section for old radio vacuum tubes, X-ray tubes, and so on.

They even have their own forum. A priceless discussion: http://www.bulbcollector.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000415.html [Broken]

Hey, that discussion is priceless ! Especially the picture with the little black arrow...that's something, eh !

BobG said:

Oh, geez, I'm sorry guys, I didn't foresee the danger of introducing a slide rule collector to a light bulb collecting site. :bugeye: I'll have to be more careful in the future about introducing PFers to dangerous habits. :rofl:

That discussion forum borders on frightening! This gives me an idea (now I need a light bulb icon!)...the way to solve the problem of over-full landfills. It's not about just convincing people to recycle, we have to tap into these kooky collectors and just start convincing them they need to broaden their collection. Before long, they'll be fishing almost everything out of the trash, and storing it in their basements. It's not a permanent solution, eventually they'll run out of basement space, but it might buy some time while they pre-sort everything for us as we find ways to recycle it for better uses. :rofl:

I'm glad that link amuses you. It's certainly better than the bizarre graphics on the first light bulb site I googled...unless they meant headlights :wink: , I don't know how those pictures related to light bulbs. :eek:

Stay On Topic!

I think the last few posters have been getting off topic, this is a discussion about how many forumers it takes to screw in a light bulb, please stick to the topic.

P.S. Existence is spelled with two Es, no A!

Last edited:
Smurf, if you're going to pick on spelling, then at least get your grammar correct. "Forumers"...puhleeeze! Now we're inventing words. :rofl:

And we're not off-topic. How can we discuss how many forum members it takes to change a light bulb unless we've clearly defined what a light bulb is, where to find them, which type we are talking about, is it better than other types available, etc? Afterall, the methods used for changing a light bulb will depend on the type of light bulb involved. You obviously haven't take enough light bulb classes to fully understand this question if you don't see how many options there are in light bulbs. Please go back to your Light Bulb courses before you tell the Light Bulb experts how to address the question properly. :wink:

(P.S.-Thanks, we needed a spelling policeman and a topic reminder...glad you stepped up to the plate.) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hmm...how does this affect the count, when some of us are taking on multiple roles...the same person complaining about spelling and reminding us to stay on topic? We'll have to take a more accurate count at the end of the thread. :tongue:

All of this seems oddly familiar...

Didn't we just go through this a short time ago? :biggrin:

You should turn off the circuit breaker before changing the light bulb/lightbulb/lamp/electrical_glowing_thingy just to be safe. Especially if you break the light bulb in the socket and have to use a raw potato to get the base of the bulb out.

They even have their own forum. A priceless discussion: http://bulbcollector.com/forum/index.php?topic=563.0

Edit: Link updated to new location (You can't actually edit an eight month old post).

Edit: You can't change a light bulb unless it's UL certified.

Attachments

• ul.JPG
    ul.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
BobG said:
You should turn off the circuit breaker before changing the light bulb/lightbulb/lamp/electrical_glowing_thingy just to be safe. Especially if you break the light bulb in the socket and have to use a raw potato to get the base of the bulb out.
Raw potatoes are dangerous because they're wet. I use a wadded up old sock, works fine. (except for the times I've had to use needle nose pliers) :uhh:

hey, i just changed a lightbulb... man it was so awesome. i like, turned it, and it came out... i burned my fingers at first though, cause it was still hot from being turned on. Also, it was very hard, because once the light was out, i couldn't see any more because it was dark. i also dropped the dead light bulb and broke it on the floor, but i didn't really worry, since i couldn't see where the glass shards were anyway. then i forgot to turn off the switch, so when the bulb was screwed in a little, it nearly blinded me. But, the bulb was changed! woooot

<h2>1. How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?</h2><p>The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on the situation. Some may argue that it only takes one person to change a light bulb, while others may say it takes a team effort.</p><h2>2. Is there a specific number of forum members needed to change a light bulb?</h2><p>No, there is no specific number of forum members needed to change a light bulb. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the task and the skills and abilities of the individuals involved.</p><h2>3. Why is this question often used as a joke or metaphor?</h2><p>This question is often used as a joke or metaphor because it highlights the idea of teamwork and collaboration. It also plays on the stereotype of forums being a place where people come together to discuss and solve problems.</p><h2>4. Can one person really change a light bulb on their own?</h2><p>Yes, one person can change a light bulb on their own. However, having assistance from others can make the task easier and more efficient.</p><h2>5. Does the number of forum members affect the success of changing a light bulb?</h2><p>The number of forum members does not necessarily affect the success of changing a light bulb. What matters more is the skills, knowledge, and cooperation of the individuals involved in the task.</p>

1. How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on the situation. Some may argue that it only takes one person to change a light bulb, while others may say it takes a team effort.

2. Is there a specific number of forum members needed to change a light bulb?

No, there is no specific number of forum members needed to change a light bulb. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the task and the skills and abilities of the individuals involved.

3. Why is this question often used as a joke or metaphor?

This question is often used as a joke or metaphor because it highlights the idea of teamwork and collaboration. It also plays on the stereotype of forums being a place where people come together to discuss and solve problems.

4. Can one person really change a light bulb on their own?

Yes, one person can change a light bulb on their own. However, having assistance from others can make the task easier and more efficient.

5. Does the number of forum members affect the success of changing a light bulb?

The number of forum members does not necessarily affect the success of changing a light bulb. What matters more is the skills, knowledge, and cooperation of the individuals involved in the task.