How many Glaciers are there in the World?

• Thread starter Aquafire
  • Start date
In summary, the number of glaciers in the world is not easily quantifiable as they are not discrete entities and some parts of a single ice mass may have multiple names. However, it is estimated that about 10% of the Earth's land surface is currently glaciated, with countries like Alaska and Canada having tens of thousands of glaciers.
Aquafire
As strange as it may seem, I have not been able to come up with a reliable figure.

I thought that it might be in the tens of thousands, but was suprised to find (in the process of researching this question) that Alaska alone has tens of thousands of Glaciers.

Other than that, all I know is at least 48 countries are said to contain glaciers as part of their territory.

So can someone help me answer this question.

How many Glaciers are there in the world...?

Thanks in Advance.

Aquafire

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Glaciers are not necessarily discreet separable entities, like rivers, nor are they all "named". Some parts of a single icemass have multiple names as well. In other words, I do not think thgere is a definitive answer to your question.

Circa 10% of the Earth's land surface is glaciated see:
http://www.solcomhouse.com/icecap.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
jim mcnamara said:
Glaciers are not necessarily discreet separable entities, like rivers, nor are they all "named". Some parts of a single icemass have multiple names as well. In other words, I do not think thgere is a definitive answer to your question.

Circa 10% of the Earth's land surface is glaciated see:
http://www.solcomhouse.com/icecap.htm
And apparently, that includes virtually all of Canada, including the Great Lakes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems that this was thought to be so during the last glacial maximum around 20,000 years ago.

What is a glacier?

A glacier is a large mass of ice that forms over a long period of time from compacted snow. It moves slowly due to its own weight and gravity.

How many glaciers are there in the world?

Currently, there are approximately 198,000 glaciers in the world. However, this number is constantly changing due to the effects of climate change.

Where are most glaciers located?

The majority of glaciers are found near the poles, specifically in Antarctica and Greenland. Glaciers can also be found in mountainous regions such as the Alps, Andes, and Himalayas.

How are glaciers formed?

Glaciers are formed through a process called "accumulation and compaction." Snow accumulates over time and is gradually compressed into ice. This process can take hundreds or thousands of years to form a glacier.

What is the importance of glaciers?

Glaciers play a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate by reflecting sunlight and maintaining cooler temperatures. They also serve as a source of freshwater for many communities and support various ecosystems and wildlife.