How many grams of cold water necessary to lower temperature in container

Therefore, q of the 20 degree water is the negative of q of the 80 degree water. In summary, to find the grams of 20 degree C water needed to add to 100 grams of 80 degree C water to get a final temperature of 50 degrees C, you need to use the equation q=c*m*deltaT and set q of the 20 degree water equal to the negative of q of the 80 degree water. This will allow you to solve for the unknown variable, grams of 20 degree C water.
Paulo Serrano

Homework Statement

How many grams of 20 degree C water do I need to add to 100 grams of 80 degree C of water to get the final temperature down to 50 degrees C?

Homework Equations

I'm sure it's a pretty simple equation, but I don't know it. (I'm studying a lot of different things at once and am not in school)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to know the equation for energy, which is q=c*m*deltaT, where deltaT is T(final)-T(initial). You also know that q of the 20 degree water equals the negative of the 80 degree water. Given this, you should be able to solve for grams of 20 degree water.

q is heat energy, correct? Why is one the negative of the other?

One is negative of the other because the heat that leaves the 80 degree water is added to the 20 degree water.

1. How do I calculate the amount of cold water needed to lower the temperature in a container?

The amount of cold water needed to lower the temperature in a container can be calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the desired temperature change. Simply rearrange the formula to solve for m, the mass of water.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is defined as the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. Its value is approximately 4.18 joules/gram °C.

3. How does the initial temperature of the water affect the amount needed to lower the temperature in the container?

The initial temperature of the water does not affect the amount of cold water needed to lower the temperature in the container. The amount of cold water needed depends on the desired temperature change and the specific heat capacity of water, which remains constant regardless of initial temperature.

4. Can the type of container affect the amount of cold water needed to lower the temperature?

Yes, the type of container can affect the amount of cold water needed to lower the temperature. Different materials have varying thermal conductivity, which can affect the rate at which the container transfers heat to the water. This in turn can impact the amount of cold water needed to reach the desired temperature change.

5. Is there a limit to how much the temperature can be lowered by adding cold water to a container?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the temperature can be lowered by adding cold water to a container. This is due to the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the law of conservation of energy. The temperature of the water will eventually equalize with the temperature of the surroundings, and adding more cold water will not result in a further decrease in temperature.