How many grams of Fe needed?

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grams
In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of iron (Fe) needed to react with 5 million gallons of water containing 4.2mg/L of Perchloroethene (C2CL4) in order to reduce it to harmless ethene (C2H4). The balanced equation is C2CL4 + 4H+ + 4Fe -> C2H4 + 4CL- + 4Fe2+. The concentration of PCE is 4.2mg/L and the volume of water is 1.89 x 10^7 L. More information is needed about the "20 grams" of Fe mentioned.
hils0005
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Given:
C2CL4 + Fe [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] C2H4 + CL- + Fe2+

A reservoir contains 5million gallons of water which is contaminated with 4.2mg/L of Perchloroethene(C2CL4). You want too reduce it to harmless ethene(C2H4) by reacting it with Fe. because of this only about 20g of the added Fe is reactive. If you need to treat 5million gallons of water, how many grams of Fe will you need to treat the Perchloroethene(PCE)?

Homework Equations

I first balanced the equation
C2CL4 + 4H+ + 4Fe [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] C2H4 + 4CL- + 4Fe^2+

Concentration of PCE=4.2mg/L
5mill gallons of water = 1.89 x 10^7 L

I do not know where to go from here

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
How many times bigger is the amount of PCE in the 5 million gallon tank than in the elementary reaction? How many milligrams, and therefore moles, of PCE is in the tank? I believe some information is missing related to your "20 grams" comment about the Fe.

To determine the amount of Fe needed, we can use the balanced equation to calculate the moles of PCE present in 5 million gallons of water. Then, using the mole ratio from the balanced equation, we can calculate the moles of Fe needed to react with all of the PCE. Finally, we can convert the moles of Fe to grams using its molar mass.

First, we need to convert the concentration of PCE from mg/L to moles/L. This can be done by dividing by its molar mass (165.83 g/mol).

4.2 mg/L / 165.83 g/mol = 2.5 x 10^-5 mol/L

Next, we can use this concentration to calculate the moles of PCE present in 5 million gallons of water.

2.5 x 10^-5 mol/L x 1.89 x 10^7 L = 473.25 mol PCE

From the balanced equation, we can see that 4 moles of Fe are needed to react with 1 mole of PCE. Therefore, the moles of Fe needed will be:

473.25 mol PCE x (4 mol Fe / 1 mol PCE) = 1893 mol Fe

Finally, we can convert the moles of Fe to grams by multiplying by its molar mass (55.845 g/mol).

1893 mol Fe x 55.845 g/mol = 105.6 kg Fe

Therefore, to treat 5 million gallons of water contaminated with 4.2 mg/L of PCE, we will need approximately 105.6 kg (or 105,600 g) of Fe. However, since we know that only 20 g of Fe will be reactive, we will need to add more Fe in order to ensure that all of the PCE is treated.

1. How do I calculate the amount of Fe needed in grams?

To calculate the amount of Fe needed in grams, you will need to know the mass of the sample or solution that you are working with, as well as the molar mass of Fe. Divide the mass of the sample by the molar mass of Fe to get the number of moles of Fe. Then, use the molar ratio from the balanced chemical equation to convert moles of Fe to grams of Fe.

2. What is the molar mass of Fe?

The molar mass of Fe, or iron, is approximately 55.845 grams per mole. This value can be found on the periodic table.

3. Can I use the molar mass of Fe2O3 to calculate the amount of Fe needed?

No, the molar mass of Fe2O3 includes the mass of both iron and oxygen. To calculate the amount of Fe needed, you will need to use the molar mass of Fe alone.

4. Is the amount of Fe needed in grams the same as the amount of Fe2O3 needed in grams?

No, the amount of Fe needed in grams will not be the same as the amount of Fe2O3 needed in grams. This is because Fe2O3 contains both iron and oxygen, whereas the amount of Fe needed refers to the amount of iron alone.

5. Can I use the same calculation for any chemical reaction involving Fe?

Yes, the calculation for determining the amount of Fe needed in grams can be used for any chemical reaction involving Fe, as long as you have the necessary information such as the mass of the sample and the molar mass of Fe.

Back