Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many hrs do you sleep?

1. to hell with sleep I will get enough sleep when im dead

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. 3-4

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. 4-5

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 5-6

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 6-7

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 7-8

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. 8-9

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  8. 9 and above

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    I was curious to see the sleeping patterns of some the intelligent people here at PF. I get 5-6 hrs per night on average. Considering the consensus of a "good night's rest" is 8 hrs, I am worried that my 6 hrs a night might be negatively influencing my studies. What is your sleeping average? What sleeping schedule do you think is best?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How are you going to limit voting only to those intelligent?

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    I get a general feeling that everyone here is pretty intelligent.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4

Borek

Unfounded speculation. Topic will be soon locked pending moderation.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

7. Jun 3, 2009 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Notice his tag is humor, not mentor.

I average between 6 and 7 a night. After a few days of "closer to 6" hours of sleep, I get rather irritable and I don't think as clearly. One good night of 7+ hours usually makes a huge difference.

Chronic sleep deficiency makes you age more quickly. I tended to sleep at least 8 a night all the way until I was 34 years old. At that time, people thought I was 24. Then we had our kids, and I went for about 5 years with 5 to 6 hours of sleep. I think I put on 15 years right then.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Iv'a avergaed 6 horus a nihgt fro decades wiht no affect on my pejromance whastoever.

Of course, I usulaly supplmeent that iwtha shrt nap in httttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

9. Jun 3, 2009 #8
    I don't do IQ tests, so I'm not sure if I may vote. But even after retirement I go to sleep between midnight and one hour am and wake up without alarm usually around six hours AM, if not earlier, every now and then.

10. Jun 3, 2009 #9
    Everyone is different in how much sleep your body needs to function at full capacity. Generally it's rated at 6.5-8.5 hours a night, but listen to your body. If your body is telling you that you need more sleep, LISTEN! If it's telling you to sleep less, again, listen to what it's telling you. I have insomniatic (is that a word? It's a pretty good one if so!) tendencies, and I've gone 9-10 months getting at most 2.5 hours of sleep a night, and I function perfectly fine, if not better. But that's also generally considered the minimum amount of sleep one should get to refresh their thought processes.

All in all, just listen to what your body is telling you. If you feel that 5-6 hours isn't enough and performance reflects that, then listen to what it's telling you and rest up!

11. Jun 3, 2009 #10

Borek

Hm, I have tried to listen to my body, but only sounds I have heard were those I would not dare to repeat in public.

12. Jun 3, 2009 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My sleep cycles are dictated by the collective. :wink:

13. Jun 3, 2009 #12

drizzle

Gold Member

I get 5 hrs per night or day (depends on my mood and free time) but there's definitely one day a week that I have to get sleep for about 10 hours or maybe more

14. Jun 3, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you have to ask...

you're probably not in the club...

:biggrin:

15. Jun 3, 2009 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's a generalisation.

I, for example, am not different.

16. Jun 3, 2009 #15
    I sleep 8-9 hours aday
    sometimes 9-10 hours

17. Jun 3, 2009 #16
    I was getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night not too long ago, but I've stopped working out as much and oddly, I now sleep 8-9 hours a night. I thought it would be the other way around.

18. Jun 3, 2009 #17
    I think it will be harmful to your brain. But I also think it means nothing, as you are still around saying that to me.

19. Jun 3, 2009 #18
    During the school year 5-6 a night. During regular summer 8-9. However, this summer I'm working out a lot so I'm trying to sleep at least 9 hours a night going to sleep at the same exact time every night.

EDIT: During the school year I'm far sharper in the morning. Whenever I'm stuck on a problem at night doing homework, I usually solve it no problem in the morning.

20. Jun 4, 2009 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Basically as long as I want, but usually 8 to 9. If I get 7 to 8, I take a nap during the day.

21. Jun 4, 2009 #20
    I have a strange schedule and my sleep patterns shift alot depending on circumstances. I chose 6-7 but really my sleep hours will range from around 4 to 9 hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook