How Many Know This Song?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the definition of a "classic" song and the disagreement over whether a song by Collective Soul can be considered a classic. Some members share their opinions and others joke about using the song to get rid of guests. The conversation also branches out to discussing other music and sharing personal experiences.
LightbulbSun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqkPcAzS4Yg

Classic song.

Physics news on Phys.org
umm, yes. I've heard it before. You made this a thread why?

Cyrus said:
umm, yes. I've heard it before. You made this a thread why?

I want to see how many PFers recognize the song. It's general discussion.

You think this is a "classic"? Wow!

turbo-1 said:
You think this is a "classic"? Wow!

lol... I thought the same thing.

Its funny how things that came out when I was in grade school are played on the "classic" rock station. I'm not that old! In fact, this song came out when I was in high school.

Define classic.

It's called December by Collective Soul.
No, I don't know this song or the group either..

I like the song well enough, but classic? To me, Aerosmith is a new band.

franznietzsche said:
Define classic.

Any definition is subjective. For me, a necessary (but not sufficient) condition is that the song be at least 25 years old.

George Jones said:
Any definition is subjective. For me, a necessary (but not sufficient) condition is that the song be at least 25 years old.

I generally figure 70s and earlier. A quarter century almost seems reasonable criteria though.

So classic equals old? Your definitions suck.

LightbulbSun said:
So classic equals old? Your definitions suck.

The term 'classic' implies that it has withstood the test of time.

Speaking as someone who has lived to see the emergence of Rock and Roll from the heyday of R&B, Blues, Country, and Folk, I also have a pretty well-defined sense of what "classic" means to my generation. Eleanor Rigby, (Can't get no) Satisfaction, Mr. Tambourine Man, For What it's Worth, Mustang Sally, He Ain't Heavy, Bad Moon Risin', Black Magic Woman ... classics.

Danger said:
The term 'classic' implies that it has withstood the test of time.

Ever heard of the term 'instant classic'?

Besides the song is 14 years old now.

LightbulbSun said:
Besides the song is 14 years old now.
Versus songs that are twice as old or more that you can hear on the radio more or less everyday. That is what I would define as withstanding the test of time.

Pearl Jam is classic. These guys came later.

Stone the crows it is HORRIBLE, the sort of song one plays to get rid of guests.

wolram said:
Stone the crows it is HORRIBLE, the sort of song one plays to get rid of guests.

I'm sure I can find you better music for getting rid of guests if you ever need it.

Such as...

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm sure I can find you better music for getting rid of guests if you ever need it.

Such as...

:eek::bugeye::confused::cry::confused:

You want to get rid of guests? Anything by Yoko Ono should do the trick.

wolram said:

You're horrible.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Versus songs that are twice as old or more that you can hear on the radio more or less everyday. That is what I would define as withstanding the test of time.

Versus songs that fade out in a matter of a few years, I think it has withstood the test of time already.

Ouabache said:
It's called December by Collective Soul.
No, I don't know this song or the group either..
Just to clarify ambiguity, after watching this clip, I was able to figure out what the song is and who performed it. But I have never heard of this group or this song before.

yeah, heard it. it's a decent radio song, but not something one would buy.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Such as...

How is the audience NOT laughing?!?

lisab said:
How is the audience NOT laughing?!?

I was 12 years old when I watched this. I was NOT laughing, I was clawing my eyes in terror. I had nightmares. I burned my Trekkie stuff that very weekend, went out and spiked my hair, bought "Never Mind the Bollocks" and slammed at a Ramones Concert.

Or maybe that was over the next three years, but anyway I think it was that particular show which tipped the scales for me.

Chi Meson said:
I was 12 years old when I watched this. I was NOT laughing, I was clawing my eyes in terror. I had nightmares. I burned my Trekkie stuff that very weekend, went out and spiked my hair, bought "Never Mind the Bollocks" and slammed at a Ramones Concert.

Or maybe that was over the next three years, but anyway I think it was that particular show which tipped the scales for me.

There's also a rather good punk cover of the song.

Let's be fair to Shatner. Nimoy was ALMOST as horrible at singing.

His version of MacArthur Park was capable of killing sentient beings with only minimal exposure.

The Vulcan Ear Split.

1. How do you determine how many people know a certain song?

The number of people who know a song can be determined by conducting surveys, analyzing streaming and sales data, and tracking radio play and social media mentions. This data can then be used to estimate the overall popularity and number of people who know a particular song.

2. Is there a difference between how many people know a song and how many people like a song?

Yes, there can be a difference between the number of people who know a song and the number of people who like it. Some people may know a song but not necessarily enjoy it, while others may like a song but have not heard it before.

3. Can the number of people who know a song change over time?

Yes, the number of people who know a song can change over time. As new music is released and becomes popular, it may overshadow older songs and decrease the number of people who know them. Additionally, as people's music tastes change, the number of people who know a certain song may also change.

4. Do demographics play a role in how many people know a song?

Yes, demographics can play a role in how many people know a song. Different age groups, geographic regions, and cultural backgrounds may have varying levels of exposure to certain songs and genres, which can impact the number of people who know them.

5. How accurate are the estimates of how many people know a song?

The accuracy of estimates for how many people know a song can vary depending on the methods used to gather data and the size of the sample population. However, with advancements in technology and data analysis, the accuracy of these estimates has greatly improved in recent years.