Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many languages do you speak?

1. English

26 vote(s)
    96.3%
  2. French

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Spanish

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. German

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. Chinese

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Arabic

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Other

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 12, 2003 #1
    'The limits of my language means the limits of my world.'
    Ludwig Wittgenstein, 1889-1951: Tractus Philosophicus, 1922

How many languages do you speak? Do you agree with Wittgenstein?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2003 #2
    I don't have to disagree with him on that issue, as he already did that for me, in the Philosophical Investigations :wink:

4. May 12, 2003 #3
    I think it would have been more agreeable if he had used the words 'humor' instead of 'world'.

5. May 12, 2003 #4

FZ+

How many languages do you THINK in?:smile:

6. May 13, 2003 #5
    It depends on what I'm thinking about, I think. But mostly in English.

7. May 13, 2003 #6
    The statistical analysis of this question is not great - perhaps there could be more advanced options.

e.g. telling us what percentage speak 4 languages etc.

8. May 13, 2003 #7

FZ+

Hmm... before Alexander gets a chance...

Is mathematics a language?

9. May 13, 2003 #8
    I don't think in language. I think in concepts.

10. May 13, 2003 #9
    No. It uses symbols of other languages, and it is spoken in a variety of different languages.

11. May 13, 2003 #10
    I speak only english. Author of this poll and another one asking the number of languages one speaks, 1 to 5 or so

I agree with the quote in that communicatively speaking (no pun, and i mean in terms of us being such a communicative species) we find a barrier at language.

But not all the time, like in math etc...

So his quote has it's purpose, but it's nothing better than a quote from eminem, heh

12. May 13, 2003 #11
    BTW, I speak three languages, and am working on the fourth.

13. May 13, 2003 #12
    TWO French and English, but don't take me to court in French, I'd lose.

(Thinks in both/either)

14. May 13, 2003 #13
    Learnt French until 16 and German until 18 at school. Always found languages an interesting and useful subject, and pretty easy to pick up, so I'm usually able to understand most of written German, though my spoken isn't that confident.

Languages should definitely be taught from a much earlier age in UK schools - we lag well behind the rest of Europe.

15. May 13, 2003 #14

MSI

well i can speak hebrew and arabic and some english

16. May 13, 2003 #15
    gibberish.:wink:

I speak English and Amharic and gibberish. and a little bit of spanish.

17. May 14, 2003 #16
    mm, i tried to learn latin but got scared, i can understand simple stuff though, but what's simple in latin???

not true, maths isn't 'spoken' in a variety of languages, it gets translated into a varitey of languages, '=' is '=', not equals, not egales or anything else, we translate maths into our language to communicate it with more ease. and just because something uses the symbols of another language doesn't mean it isn't an independant language, ie french uses the same symbols as many other languages, but is a language on it's own.

18. May 16, 2003 #17
    I'll agree on the second point (about the symbols being the same), but I disagree with the first point. Mathematics has absolutely not spoken form, on it's own. Thus, it is not a language.

19. May 16, 2003 #18
    I speak English and Spanish and I think mostly in English. However, when I'm bored or when I don't realize it, I think in Spanish

20. May 17, 2003 #19
    I Can speak both arabic and english ...

I think most of the time in Arabic , but when I'm involved in english conversations , I realize that I'm thinking in english .
    Does this matter ?

* I Read an article one day said that kids that talks two languages or more , have more ability to learn .

21. May 20, 2003 #20
    English
    British Sign Language ( YES IT IS A LANGUAGE)
    only these two no others im afraid i coyuld never be bothered to learn any others. but i am going to to greece soon so i may start learning greek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?