How many M&Ms are in an ounce?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
hey, I offered money, you wouldn't take it. too good to sell your body I guess.

i appreciated the offer. i just didn't think you should have to take care of me.

as a card carrying knight in shining armor, it's my job.

hehehe, thats cute. no wonder you're in such high demand. wish i had a knight.

are you easy? live in a tower?

I hope your fish tank springs leak all over your floor. (make sure you fill it with grape juice first) see how many of those u can pour into it.

Last edited:
according to your math I should be able to fit 600 1 gallon jugs of grape juice into a 20 gallon tank. right?

Im not wrong about the m&m's though. its 8k bags. You stink, bathe yourself.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What a waste of M&Ms. :rolleyes: It's going to take a lot more than 8000 bags if you invite the sisterhood over...you'd be surprised at how quickly M&Ms in a fishtank evaporate. :biggrin:

My guess is it would take closer to 800 than 8000 bags. I don't have any M&Ms on hand, but my best recollection is that a 1 lb bag is about 6" L x 4" W x 1/2" D, give or take a bit. So, that would mean about 20 bags for every 1/2" layer of M&Ms.

Last edited:
I think the time it would take for me to invite the sisterhood into my house is about the same as the time it would take for m and ms to evaporate.

"My guess is it would take closer to 800 than 8000 bags. I don't have any M&Ms on hand, but my best recollection is that a 1 lb bag is about 6" L x 4" W x 1/2" D, give or take a bit. So, that would mean about 20 bags for every 1/2" layer of M&Ms."

where did you get that number from? Your not filling it with bags, your filling it with the m&m's

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
where did you get that number from? Your not filling it with bags, your filling it with the m&m's
What do you think the bags are filled with?

Mk
This is entertaining. Gale, tribdog, and cyrus arguing about how many thousand bags of M&Ms to put in a fishtank.

'What do you think the bags are filled with?'

but the size of the volume of the box is not the same as the volume of the m&m's.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Aha! I found more M&M information.

There are about 500 Plain M&M's per pound.
http://www.candywarehouse.com/mms.html

:biggrin: That would cut Cyrus' estimate down to 1600 bags (1/5 of his guess based on a pathetic 100 M&Ms per bag...he obviously is not an M&M connoisseur :tongue:).

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cyrusabdollahi said:
but the size of the volume of the box is not the same as the volume of the m&m's.
Box? M&Ms come in bags. The bag is about the same shape and size as the M&Ms in it. This isn't like cereal where you get 10 corn flakes in a box that's 1 foot on every side.

It says each bag is 52oz, thats 3.25lbs per bag, and 500 m&m per lb, that means each bag has a total of 1625 m&m per bag. Thats about 510 bags. At 15 bucks a bag, your looking at 7.6 grand.

Damn you smell bad.

(For the record, I was talking about the small bags you get at the store for a buck)

you people are all nuts. I figure about 4 cases of m and ms would just about fill this tank. there is no way a case of m and m's could cost a couple thousand. Oh unless you are talking about the new flavor platinum centers with ruby coating.

i was talking about the big bags. why would you buy the small overly priced bags id you're filling up an entire fishtank?

lol, why would i fill up a fish tank with m and m's? Do I sound rational? Can you buy individual ms?

Go buy a few cases and see what happens. Then when you report back on how it filled up only about an inch I will laugh at your face while pointing at you.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gale said:
i was talking about the big bags. why would you buy the small overly priced bags id you're filling up an entire fishtank?
I agree. I was thinking the 1 lb bags, since that's the most common "big" size sold. I wouldn't spend $15 for 3.25 lbs! I still thing Cyrus' math is off a bit...I have to go back and look...is he taking the physicists approach, "assume every M&M is a cube?" There's of course lots of space between M&Ms.

I kind of like Gale's suggestion though, get gummy fish and make a candy aquarium. That would be fun at Christmastime as an easier alternative to making gingerbread houses. :approve:

hmmmm, if you're gonna waste your money, i could use some afterall. send some m&m's as well

pblackt, you can't nix gingerbread houses at christmastime!!!!! the candy aquarium is how you can pass the time until gingerbread season.

man, i can't wait to have kids so i can make candy projects all the time. that or find a guy who really likes candy and buys me enough to make stuff out of.

"assume every M & M is a cube" How about we don't assume that and deal with reality. Sorry to disillusion anyone here.

And by the way, thank you! This thread's the best laugh I've had today.