• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How many moles of ions are present

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Asian Girl
  • Start date
I thought this is a pretty easy problem and I can't believe I did it wrong. What did I do wrong?

How many moles of ions are present in 250mL of 4.4 M solution of sodium sulfate?

Here what I did:
250 mL = .25 L
mol Na2(SO)4 = MV = 4.4 * .25 = 1.1 mol

but the answer was 3.3 mol

Answers and Replies

Because the question asks how many ions are present, you need to multiply the moles of sodium sulfate by the number of ions it breaks down into in water.

In this case, I believe the Na2(SO)4 will dissociate to make two Na+ ions and one (SO)4 ion (total of 3 ions).

Because the question asks how many ions are present, you need to multiply the moles of sodium sulfate by the number of ions it breaks down into in water.

In this case, I believe the Na2(SO)4 will dissociate to make two Na+ ions and one (SO)4 ion (total of 3 ions).
Thanks

Another one:
Water can be decomposed by the passage of an electric current according to the equation 2H2O (l) ---> 2H2 (g) + O2 (g)
How many moles of H2 (g) can be produced from the passage of 4.8*10^21 electrons?

I solved:
4.8*10^21 / 6.022*10^23 * 2 = 1.6*10^-2 mol

What did I do wrong?

Borek
Mentor
How many electrons needed per each H2 molecule?

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:

yea really I need answer for her question fast :S I have OLYMPIAD Tomorrow. Thanks :smile:

Borek
Mentor

Which question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

yea really I need answer for her question fast :S I have OLYMPIAD Tomorrow. Thanks :smile:
I'm sorry, but this forum does not work that way. Please read the forum rules first.