How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50

• Thread starter Whenry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the answer to my question is that there are two mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50, one with element of order 25 and the other with element of order 50.
Whenry

Homework Statement

My question is about the rules behind the method of finding the solution not necessarily the method itself.

(I am prepping for the GRE subject)

How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50?

The Attempt at a Solution

so, if understand this correctly, we have 2 of these groups:

1) Z2 + Z5 + Z5

2) Z2 + Z25

However, what I don't understand is why these are mutually nonisomorphic. The theorems presented before this problem state:

The direct sum Zm + Zn is cyclic iff gcd(m,n) = 1. If this is the case, then, since Zm + Zn has order mn, Zm +Zn is isomorphic to Zmn,

So are groups 1 and 2 both isomorphic to Z50 but not isomorphic to each other? which dosen't make sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenry said:

Homework Statement

My question is about the rules behind the method of finding the solution not necessarily the method itself.

(I am prepping for the GRE subject)

How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50?

The Attempt at a Solution

so, if understand this correctly, we have 2 of these groups:

1) Z2 + Z5 + Z5

2) Z2 + Z25

However, what I don't understand is why these are mutually nonisomorphic. The theorems presented before this problem state:

The direct sum Zm + Zn is cyclic iff gcd(m,n) = 1. If this is the case, then, since Zm + Zn has order mn, Zm +Zn is isomorphic to Zmn,

So are groups 1 and 2 both isomorphic to Z50 but not isomorphic to each other? which dosen't make sense to me.

No, not at all. Only group (2) is isomorphic to Z50. Group (1) is not cyclic.

How do we prove that (1) and (2) are not isomorphic?? Well, the easiest way is to check the orders of the elements. Prove that (2) has an element of order 25, but (1) does not have such an elements.

micromass said:
No, not at all. Only group (2) is isomorphic to Z50. Group (1) is not cyclic.

How do we prove that (1) and (2) are not isomorphic?? Well, the easiest way is to check the orders of the elements. Prove that (2) has an element of order 25, but (1) does not have such an elements.

Ok, yes, it makes sense now. For some reason I ignored the gcd(m,n). Thank you.

1. How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50 are there?

There are 6 mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50.

2. What is the definition of a mutually nonisomorphic Abelian group?

A mutually nonisomorphic Abelian group is a group that is not isomorphic to any other group in a given set of groups.

3. How do you determine if two Abelian groups are isomorphic?

Two Abelian groups are isomorphic if there exists a bijective homomorphism between them.

4. Can you provide an example of two mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50?

One example is the cyclic group Z50 and the direct product of Z5 and Z10. Both have order 50 but are not isomorphic.

5. Why is the number of mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50 important?

Knowing the number of mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of a certain order can provide insight into the structure of groups and aid in solving problems in group theory. It also has practical applications in cryptography and coding theory.