Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many of you guys drank in High School?

1. Never

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Once in a great while

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. 1-2 drinks here and there

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 1-2 drinks once a month

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. 1-2 drinks every week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. got drunk atleast once a month

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. got drunk most every weekend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    How many of you guys drank in High School?

edit: drink defined as 1 beer, 1.5 oz of 80 proof liquor, or 5 oz. of wine

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where is the "I got drunk everyday before class" option?

4. Oct 26, 2006 #3
    Shoot... I already clicked "never" but I defined drink (before reading your definition) as 400 gallons of Bacardi 151.

5. Oct 26, 2006 #4
    Whats high school? Is like years 9 to 13 (form 3 to 7)?
    My mates and I have been drinking, having a wine before going to ballets, and going to town from about the age of 15 (some even 14)

6. Oct 26, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you really mean IN high school (as in, on school grounds, or during class hours) or do you mean during the years when you were of high school age?

I'll assume you mean during those ages (rhuthwaite, yes, I think you have the right age range there...here it is years 9-12 because we end school at 12; you're usually 17 or 18 when graduating from high school if that helps), and not while at school.

In that case, I'll answer once in a great while...on special occassions, my parents allowed my sister and I to have a drink, but I'm not sure it even fits under your definition. At those ages, it would not have been even a whole drink, but maybe a 1 oz serving of a cocktail they were mixing up for everyone, or a couple sips worth of champagne to join in a toast. I didn't sneak drinks or drink at parties held by other teens, because if I wanted to try something, my parents had no problem with letting me drink it at home to learn what I liked or didn't like. They also made the same offer with cigarettes, that if I ever wanted to try them, they'd allow it as long as I did it at home with them buying (which I understood later was to make sure I was trying cigarettes and not pot)...I never took them up on that offer as I never saw anything at all appealing about cigarettes or their smell. But, basically, they knew that it was normal to get curious about these things as a teenager, so they wanted to make sure I satisfied that curiousity while in a safe environment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?