Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many of you watch tennis or European sports ?

1. Yes , it's a good alternative

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No , was never interested in it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ??? What's European sports

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Europeans my ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Just recently gained interest in European sports

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sep 4, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My days of watching football are almost gone, I used to watch it with friends while tailgating , however they have all gotten married and are either in medical or law school, yes all of us have gone our own separate ways; they've remained in Iowa while I moved to Georgia. Do we converse on the phone? Yes, tailgate? No. My Chemistry coworkers don't seem to care about football either, they prefer baseball, which is not my thing nowadays.

How many of you enjoy soccer or tennis? Some of you may not enjoy soccer since this is primarily a European sport and Europe seems to have a condenscending manner towards the US in general i.e. The French hate us, Spain hates us, Russia may have wated to bomb us at some time, and the English believe that they are superior to us. Can any of you find it in your hearts to love European sports?

I'm becoming more and more attracted to soccer and have already been a fan of tennis. Btw, something is not right with this Nadal guy, same with Federer however he's just plain talented, not so certain about Nadal.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

These comments, even if true, have nothing to do with the question you are asking. I'm, sorry, but the thread as it is is just phrased in a way to encourage anti-European slander.

4. Sep 4, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cricket's the ticket!

I love watching soccer; my wife and I watched quite a number of games of the 2008 Euro Cup. I also love watching tennis, but I don't do this very often.

Our TV only works with DVDs, so I only watch sports via the internet.

5. Sep 4, 2008 #4
    Everyone knows that American sports are just glamourised imitations of european sports anyway! :wink: American football is just a girls' version of Rugby; baseball is just a strangely corrupted copy of cricket; and basketball is just...errr....erm...:tongue2: Only joking! :smile:

For the record, I don't see what the origin of the sport has to do with whether you'd watch it or not?! OK, I might be a typical Englishman in the sense that I like football (soccer), rugby, cricket, a bit of tennis, snooker and darts (!), but if I could ever work out what they were trying to do in American football (or if anyone were to explain it to me!), I'm sure I could get into it. I certainly wouldn't refuse to watch it, just because it's American football!

6. Sep 4, 2008 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before responding, I only read the first paragraph. I also don't like the tone of the second parargraph. Also, what the heck does
    mean?

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He has no talent , yet he's number one, how on earth is he better than Federer? His work ethic is above and beyond, yet something is strange about this, all of those muscles all of this perfection. Something seems very artificial here.

8. Sep 4, 2008 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I't's not not my intention to degrade European sports. I just wanted to know who here really enjoys European sports without the bias.

9. Sep 4, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Answers are biased so how do you expect unbiased results?

10. Sep 4, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With the poll options how on Earth do you expect the poll to be unbiased?

11. Sep 4, 2008 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Honestly , I don't sense any bias in the poll beside option number 4. Please clarify. Btw how do you change the answers on PF?

12. Sep 4, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's just a ridiculous poll for a loaded question in the opening post.

13. Sep 4, 2008 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I used to love watching tennis but lost interest over the years. Those Borg-McEnroe matches were something else.

Also follow the Tour de France most years, but this time around only checked it out every 4-5 days and have already forgotten who won it this year. I guess without an American in contention it doesn't captivate me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?