Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many of you

1. Jul 9, 2007 #1
    did not participate in science fairs as a child or did not attend math and/or science camps? I only started reading science literature as a preteen and physics literature as a teen. Will this affect my performance as a physics major and later a scientist?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't attend anything like this, but then I don't think they exist in my country.
    I shouldn't think it will affect you. After all, you were at least reading literature outside school, which is something that a lot of people didn't do.

4. Jul 9, 2007 #3
    I never participated in science fairs at all, nor math competitions when I was younger(I now wish that I did, but we can't change those things right? ;) ). In fact if you were to know me 3 years ago you never would in a million years think that I was going to end up attempting to go into a science related career.

I personally would say that it doesn't really matter, I figure that I am on par with most people entering University with interests in science and it only took me about a year of dedicated hard work to repair any damage I did.

How old are you now? How many years until you enter University? Just because you did not participate in competitions does not mean you are not good at math and science.

I think reading science literature as a preteen is easily early enough!

Science fairs mainly just give you an opportunity to do some interesting research and learn more about science. Perhaps some experimental skills like measurement can be practiced during science fairs. But with the amount of labs in University(plus the labs in HS), you get lots of practice with that anyway. If you are good at math and science, there is no reason to worry at all.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  5. Jul 9, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I too have never participated in anything like you have mentioned. I'm from England like cristo and I've neve heard of any here. I don't think it will affect your performance at all as long as you're willing to work hard at what you do.

6. Jul 9, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect that the vast majority of working scientists have never participated in a science fair as a child. I have judged science fairs, and my impression is that the majority of kids participating are not doing so out of their own interest in science, but because a teacher or parent is pushing them to do so (or it's just plain required for the entire class). Those who advance to regional competitions do have better presentations of their projects, but it takes a lot of questions to ferret out how much is their work and how much is their parents' work. For a lot of students, they don't even have access to such fairs. Not every kid can afford to buy all the supplies to even do a project, and not every school offers an opportunity to participate.

For some kids, it's the experience that inspires them to get more interested in science, but you don't need to do that if you're already interested.

7. Jul 9, 2007 #6
    I participated in science fairs from elementary school to high school. I think they were great experiences for other reasons, but they didn't really teach me much about science. In the real world, experimental science is a technique that's best learned in a (university) classroom. You can't just slap something together with glue and scissors, and expect to do a scientifically rigorous project. Looking back on it, most of the science fair projects I did weren't even scientifically accurate. The only exception was the one I did my senior year of high school, when I based my project on mentorship research I had done in the Mayo Clinic's medical physics department.

As has been already said, science fairs might inspire people to study science in college. That was probably the case with me. But most projects I've seen wouldn't actually constitute actual science. So no, you won't be hurt at all by not having had these experiences.

8. Jul 9, 2007 #7
    I went to a science presentation at our college and helped to set up the experiments, but that was mainly because I had the raging horn for a girl who was also in attendance, ahhhh them were the days. Apart from that you would not of seen me dead doing anything extra curricular at all at school, except maybe detention.

9. Jul 9, 2007 #8
    I spent my childhood breaking neighbors windows and terrorizing the neighborhood. I turned out fine as a physics major.

10. Jul 9, 2007 #9
    This will make for an interesting thread: The teenage years of physicists. And you're not disadvatnaged if you're prepared to work to gain ground. In some ways you might even be in a better position learning the material later, you'll bring a more mature brain to bear against the ideas you'll be studying.

11. Jul 9, 2007 #10
    sure it will be!!1:cool::cool:

as regarding the OP, i too never attended any science fair or any science camp. even 1yr b4 joining the college, i didnt knew anything abt my career n all. only cartoons n candies filled up my space. but it hasnt affected anyway my current stiuation(BTW i am doing mechanical engineering).
    n yes, as already pointed out, most school kids attend those (:tongue2::tongue2:) shows because of the pressure from school teachers n parents

12. Jul 9, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not at all. Don't worry.

13. Jul 9, 2007 #12
    Ugh man, stop tying like that! :mad:

You are in college, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  14. Jul 9, 2007 #13
    I never attended science fairs or competition, my school neither offered or promoted it in anyway. I went to a school that catered more to the people who didn't care than to the ones who did. I never went to science camps or anything of the like either, there were a few things like that offered around the province but my parents would never allow me to go. I probably wouldn't have wanted to in my younger school years, but when I was in high school I really would have like to go to something like that. That being said I don't think it set me back at all, I suppose I turned out alright :P

15. Jul 10, 2007 #14
    you don't have to be a child prodigy to succeed in life. chill dude.

16. Jul 10, 2007 #15
    didnt u read what i wrote???
    yea, i m in college

17. Jul 10, 2007 #16
    Oh God now you've just pressurised people into thinking if they were a child prodigy they have to succeed! :rolleyes::tongue2:

To succeed in life you need persistence more than intelligence generally. Mind you how you define success is entirely subjective, say I was a child in the US then I might define success as becoming rich and achieving the American dream, just a general example btw I realise not everyone wants this.

Me I define success as being happy, with one or two added extras, but then I'm a simple person. But I might if I cared about such things define success as having grand children and a happy family. A Buddhist might define success as detaching himself from desire and the physical chains of existence and achieving enlightenment. Success is a very transient concept, it is pretty guaranteed that one man's success might be viewed by another as a waste of time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  18. Jul 10, 2007 #17

J77

No -- never participated in any competitions or the like.

And, I've never heard of a competition win to help promote anyone's scientific career -- at least not here in Europe!

19. Jul 10, 2007 #18

ranger

Gold Member

I think he means to stop using the chat room style of writing and use proper coherent English/grammar.

20. Jul 10, 2007 #19
    okayo:)o:) will do that from now on:approve::approve:
    sorry for that

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  21. Jul 10, 2007 #20
    are you a child prodigy:confused::confused::confused::biggrin::wink::surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?