Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many peak sensitivity of the human eye?

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    how many peak sensitivity of the human eye?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    I'm not sure I understand te question, but, as far as I know, the human eye is sensitive enough to detect 15 quanta (photons) of light.
    Is that the info you're looking for?

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    That info is taken from 'Sensory Systems: Anatomy and Physiology' by Aage R. Moller. I presume it means that 15 quanta is the minimum required to elicit an action potential in a ganglion cell (these are the cells whose axons form the optic nerve).
    Anyway, if this isn't the info you're looking for, THIS page - which contains various facts and figures about the human retina - might help you. In fact, that entire site is a very good resource on vision; it might be worth bookmarking! :wink:

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There was an experiment decades ago that showed the dark adapted human eye could respond to just one quantum of radiation. I don't know how the textbook squares with that - might be two different definitions of "respond".

6. Apr 6, 2004 #5
    Yeah, probably is! That's pretty amazing when you think about it, IMO - i.e. responding to a single photon of light!

7. May 13, 2004 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, the human eye has a 'quantum efficiency' - which is pretty much the same as what SamLuc posted - of ~<10%, also in line with SamLuc's post.

Better than photographic film, but very limited ability to integrate (but apparently the human visual system does have some ability; am not sure if it's in the eye or the brain).

Then along came CCDs.

Last edited: May 13, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?