How many peak sensitivity of the human eye?

In summary, the human eye is sensitive enough to detect 15 quanta (photons) of light, which is the minimum required to elicit an action potential in a ganglion cell. This information is taken from 'Sensory Systems: Anatomy and Physiology' by Aage R. Moller. However, there was an experiment that showed the dark adapted human eye could respond to just one quantum of radiation, which may indicate a different definition of "respond" compared to the textbook. The human eye has a quantum efficiency of ~<10%, which is better than photographic film but limited in its ability to integrate. With the invention of CCDs, the human eye's capabilities have been surpassed.
newton1
how many peak sensitivity of the human eye?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand te question, but, as far as I know, the human eye is sensitive enough to detect 15 quanta (photons) of light.
Is that the info you're looking for?

That info is taken from 'Sensory Systems: Anatomy and Physiology' by Aage R. Moller. I presume it means that 15 quanta is the minimum required to elicit an action potential in a ganglion cell (these are the cells whose axons form the optic nerve).
Anyway, if this isn't the info you're looking for, http://webvision.med.utah.edu/facts.html [Broken] page - which contains various facts and figures about the human retina - might help you. In fact, that entire site is a very good resource on vision; it might be worth bookmarking! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an experiment decades ago that showed the dark adapted human eye could respond to just one quantum of radiation. I don't know how the textbook squares with that - might be two different definitions of "respond".

Yeah, probably is! That's pretty amazing when you think about it, IMO - i.e. responding to a single photon of light!

IIRC, the human eye has a 'quantum efficiency' - which is pretty much the same as what SamLuc posted - of ~<10%, also in line with SamLuc's post.

Better than photographic film, but very limited ability to integrate (but apparently the human visual system does have some ability; am not sure if it's in the eye or the brain).

Then along came CCDs.

Last edited:

1. How many peak sensitivities does the human eye have?

The human eye has three peak sensitivities, known as cones, which are responsible for color vision. These cones are sensitive to red, green, and blue light, and work together to perceive a wide range of colors.

2. What is the purpose of having multiple peak sensitivities in the human eye?

The multiple peak sensitivities in the human eye allow us to perceive a wide range of colors and distinguish between different wavelengths of light. This is essential for tasks such as identifying ripe fruit, recognizing warning signs, and appreciating the beauty of our surroundings.

3. Can the peak sensitivity of the human eye be altered?

Yes, the peak sensitivity of the human eye can be altered through genetic variations, age, and exposure to certain substances. For example, some people may have an extra cone that allows them to see a wider range of colors, while others may have a deficiency in one of the cones, leading to color blindness.

4. How does the peak sensitivity of the human eye compare to other animals?

The peak sensitivity of the human eye is similar to many other primates, with three cones responsible for color vision. However, some animals, such as birds and insects, have four or even more cones, allowing them to see a wider range of colors than humans.

5. Can the peak sensitivity of the human eye change over time?

Yes, the peak sensitivity of the human eye can change over time due to age-related changes in the eye's structure and function. As we grow older, our eyes become less sensitive to certain wavelengths of light, leading to a decline in color perception. Additionally, certain diseases or injuries can also affect the peak sensitivity of the human eye.