1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many permutation of six letters, a,b,c,d,e,f i got the answer for 5 letters.urnt

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    Okay so I did a homework problem that was the following:
    How many permutations of 5 letters abcde that start with a, b, or c and end with c, d or e.[b/]

To calculate the number of permutations of abcde that start with a, b or c and end with c, d or e, we can use
    the Addition Rule to split into disjoint cases before using the Multiplication Rule.
    One way to split into disjoint cases is the following.
    Case 1: The permutations begin with a or b. Then the first letter can be chosen in 2 ways (a or b), the 5th letter in 3 ways (c, d, or e), and the remaning 3 letters can be placed in the remaining 3 positions in 3!=6 ways. So there are 2 x 3 x 6 = 36 permutations in case 1.

Case 2: The permutation begins with c. Then the first letter can be chosen in 1 way (c), the 5th letter in 2 ways (d or e), and the remaining 3 letters can be placed in the remaining 3 positions in 3! = 6 ways. So there are 1 x 2 x 6 = 12 permutations in case 2. So the answer is:
    36 + 12 = 48.

This makes perfect senes to me but when you change the problem alittle:

How many permutations of the six letters abcdef are there in which the first letter is a, b, c or d and the last letter is c, d, e, or f?

Is there a way to do this with only 2 cases or would it have to be 3?

the answer is 288!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To do prob problems, I try to keep things as simple as possible in order to avoid missing things. So I would go at it the robotic way:

answer you're looking for = P({a is the first letter and c is the last} U {a is the first letter and d is the last} U ... U {c is the first letter and e is the last}) = P({a is the first letter and c is the last}) + P({a is the first letter and d is the last}) + ... + P({c is the first letter and e is the last})

Sorry for not answering your specific question.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    Thats alright thank you, I always forget to try to break it down into a simpler problem such as sets, i'll take another look and apply that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?