How many physical states are there (that we can't physically touch)?

In summary, according to the person writing this summary, there are physical states of matter that don't apply to us and are reached at "absolute zero". The particle mentioned in the original conversation that passes through almost everything is a neutrino.
Cyberice
I know this sounds like a strange question but I'm trying to make a thesis-paper/informational on the physical states of matter (Yes ofcourse I know liquid, solid, gas, and plasma) but I once read in a physical science book (and even saw an illustration) of certain particles that come from space that constantly pass *through* US and the EARTH. They don't apply physically to us and (most likely) we can't illuminate them in our visible spectrum. I also know of another state of matter that is reached at "absolute zero" but that is still a physical state.

Please help me if you can to find out which particle (if any) can pass through us and give examples (and preferably a link so I can have a reference for my paper besides: someone told me). Thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the particles that constantly pass through us they were referring to are called "neutrinos". They are almost mass-less, have no charge and travel at near the speed of light. They don't often interact with other particles.

The near-zero state applies only to Bosons and it is called an "Einstein-Bose Condensate". The particles involved all lose much their energy due to the low temperature and consequently "falls" down to the lowest state of energy. Because levels of energy are quantized all the particles gets to share the same state and become indistinguishable from each other, acting together as one giant particle.

I don't think the neutrino is really a "state of matter", but just a fundamental particle, like your electron. What is the state of matter of a beam of electrons? As they aren't matter in the baryonic sense, I don't think you can say the neutrinos are in any particular state.

I think it was a neutrino that I was thinking of when I mentioned a particle that passed through almost everything. Thnx for your help.

Aren't there also other physical states at extremely high temperatures, including the unification of the electromagnetic and the weak nuclear forces, as well as the unification of the strong nuclear force high up at the temperature scale? I've read that the universe has undergone several phase transformations after the Big Bang, in which the forces started to separate from each other.

1. How many physical states are there that we can't physically touch?

There are four commonly recognized physical states that we can't physically touch: gas, liquid, plasma, and Bose-Einstein condensate.

2. Is there a limit to how many physical states can exist?

As far as we know, there is no limit to the number of physical states that can exist. New states may be discovered as our understanding of physics and matter evolves.

3. Can these physical states be observed and measured?

Yes, these physical states can be observed and measured through various scientific methods and instruments. For example, gas can be observed and measured through its pressure, volume, and temperature.

4. Are there any other states of matter besides the four commonly recognized ones?

Yes, there are other states of matter that have been theorized or observed in certain conditions, such as quark-gluon plasma and supersolid. However, these states are not as commonly recognized as the four mentioned above.

5. How do these physical states differ from each other?

The physical states differ from each other in terms of their molecular arrangement, energy, and physical properties. For example, gas molecules are spread out and have high energy, while liquid molecules are closer together and have lower energy.