How many physics friends do you have?

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
I have come to realize that I don't have anyone to share my interest in physics with. I always want to vent my opinions about physics, but I always feel like I am teaching the person that I am always talking to because they are not specialized in physics. Do you ever feel like you are talking to a 3rd grader when it comes to physics discussions? I just really want to have an intellectual discussion with someone who know equal or more in physics than me.
Well, you're on PhysicsForums. A great place to vent your opinions about physics. So, what's the problem?

The only physicist I know is my nephew and he is in Japan now. I carry a book with me at all times and if it is QFT, as it often is, it draws the question: What is it about? I go into a canned spiel about how large amounts of sand behave like water, but small amounts behave like rocks. Most people can stay with me that far and I can keep going for quite a while with some. Others just roll their eyes and say I must be some kind of Einstein. I don't get any hostility though. Rarely, I get questions that indicate they didn't understand or have vague ideas that are too indistinct to call them crackpot ideas, but that's what they are.
:smile:

chiro
Science Advisor
I have to agree with the previous post about people having "3rd grade knowledge" on at least one subject. You might be a gun in physics, but what about somewhat not as cut and dry that has no clear assumptions like you have in the sciences? What about relating to all kinds of people with different backgrounds, values, cultures? Its good sometimes to be normal and relate to other people and do so without a predetermined biased about what they know and how you think they rank intellectually.

I saw a funny movie the other day by Mike Judge called Idiocracy and the OP has time I suggest he watch it for a laugh. It is a humorous thing, but you know the scary thing is that this really could possibly be our future world :O