How many pounds are in a gallon?

• Thread starter darkwolf
  • Start date
In summary, converting from gallons to pounds depends on the substance and its density. For pure water at room temperature, 1 gallon would weigh 8.33 pounds and 90 gallons would weigh 749.7 pounds. The weight a 2x4 can hold depends on the type of wood, orientation, and any flaws. The elastic modulus of standard pine ranges from 1200 to 1400 ksi, but a safety margin should be included for safety.
darkwolf
How many pounds are in a gallon? (I need exact amount). What is the Formula any and all for gallons to pounds.
my e-mail is darkravewolf@sbcglobal.net

Physics news on Phys.org
That entirely depends upon what it is a gallon of. Also, you need to specify whether it's a real gallon or a Yank gallon.

You need the density or specific gravity of what you are trying to calculate the volume of. There is no direct conversion from weight to volume.

i need to know the poundage of 90 us water gallons

as well as how much weight can a 2x4 hold up

The first is easy if you go with pure water at room temperature; mineral content and temperature differences vary it. One cc of water weighs one gram. Just convert your units to find how many cc's there are in a gallon (the information is readily available), and then convert your result from grams to pounds.
The second question is another that requires far more information to answer. An oak 2x4 is a lot stronger than a balsa one. It also matters which way it's oriented. Lastly, there are almost always flaws of some type, be it knots or warpage or whatever.

Weight of 1 US gallon of water is 8.33 pounds. 90 gallons would weigh 749.7 pounds.

As far as how much weight a 2x4 can hold, it depends on how the 2x4 is supporting weight as well as the material involved, but you can probably assume construction grade pine. Note that a 2x4 is not 2 inches by 4 inches either.

The 2x4's allowable load will also greatly depend on it's orientation, i.e. it's area moment of inertia.

Wood, like most composites, is a bit of a tough material when dealing with calculations of this type. There are so many variables that can effect it's true strength that you really have to be careful. Plus, it is not an unreasonable assumption that the material is non-homogeneous, which most standard derived equations like [tex]\sigma = \frac{M c}{I}[/tex] are based on.

According to Mark's Handbook, it looks like the range for elastic modulus of a standard kind of pine with a 12% moisture content is between 1200 and 1400 ksi (Table 6.7.2, pg. 6-115). Personally, I would include a healthy safety margin in that if this calculation is going to be for something around people or can cause damage.

Last edited:

1. How many pounds are in a gallon?

There is no definitive answer to this question because the weight of a gallon depends on the substance being measured. For example, a gallon of water weighs approximately 8.34 pounds, while a gallon of milk weighs around 8.6 pounds. Other substances, such as gasoline, may weigh even more or less per gallon.

2. Are there any conversions for pounds to gallons?

It is not possible to convert pounds to gallons without additional information about the substance being measured. This is because the weight of a gallon varies depending on the density of the substance. However, you can use conversion factors to convert between units of measurement for specific substances.

3. How do I convert pounds to gallons for a specific substance?

To convert pounds to gallons, you will need to know the density of the substance in question. You can typically find this information on the label or by doing a quick internet search. Once you have the density, you can use the following formula: gallons = pounds / density. For example, to convert 10 pounds of milk (density = 8.6 pounds per gallon), you would divide 10 by 8.6 to get approximately 1.16 gallons.

4. Is there a standard weight for a gallon?

No, there is no standard weight for a gallon. As mentioned earlier, the weight of a gallon depends on the substance being measured. Additionally, different countries may use different units of measurement, so the weight of a gallon will vary depending on the location.

5. Can I use pounds to measure liquids instead of gallons?

No, pounds are not generally used to measure liquids. Volume is the preferred unit of measurement for liquids, and gallons are commonly used in the United States. However, you can use pounds to measure the weight of a liquid, but this will not directly correspond to the volume of the liquid in gallons.