How many problems should you do when teaching yourself?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary: X.Y."In summary, for effective self-study, it is important to not only focus on theory but also actively engage in problem solving. Some people may only need theory to grasp concepts, while others may require more problem solving to fully understand the material. It is recommended to look for problems that challenge you and skip those that you already know how to do. However, it is also beneficial to occasionally attempt problems that you think you can easily solve, as they may help you catch any mistakes or gaps in your understanding. Additionally, problem solving can help solidify definitions and integrate theorems. Ultimately, finding a balance between theory and problem solving is key to successful self-study.
DeadWolfe
I've decided to start taking self-study seriously, and stop just skimming books and putting them back.
My question is, for those who do work hard at self-study, how many problems in the tet do you do? All of them? Half? None?
I'd like to know what a reasonable amount is to set as a self goal, because if I say I'll only do problems until I feel comfortable, I know I'll just get lazy and wind up doing barely any.
So how do you guys handle this? Help me out PF!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well if you are capable of grasping concepts very well there is no need for you to do problems. Otherwise problem solving is important to develop your understanding of things. Some people only need theory to grasp all the concepts and others some problem solving.

DeadWolfe said:
I've decided to start taking self-study seriously, and stop just skimming books and putting them back.
My question is, for those who do work hard at self-study, how many problems in the tet do you do? All of them? Half? None?
I'd like to know what a reasonable amount is to set as a self goal, because if I say I'll only do problems until I feel comfortable, I know I'll just get lazy and wind up doing barely any.
So how do you guys handle this? Help me out PF!
May I ask what you're self-studying?

Does it make a big difference?

DeadWolfe said:
Does it make a big difference?
No I was just curious. Speaking from personal experience, I've found the need to work a lot of problems in certain courses, but not in others.

I ask because, naturally, I intend to teach myself more than one subject.

When I did the self-study, I usually look for the problems that I have difficulties with so you can master that topic deeper. I usually skip the problems that I know how to do them. Hopefully this kind of system can work with your self-study. Good Luck...

Last edited:
nevetsnosaj said:
When I did the self-study, I usually look for the problems that I have difficulties with so you can master that topic deeper. I usually skip the problems that I know how to do them. Hopefully this kind of system can work with your self-study. Good Luck...
This is generally good advice. However, make sure you occassionally attempt one of those problems you think you're capable of doing - sometimes they could help you realize little things you've missed or haven't given any thought about.

Also, from my experience, doing the problems makes you really learn definitions. Oftern when I am self-studying topology, i use the problems as a way of testing myself on simple definitions by writing them in the actual problem, then going after them that way. They also help you integrate theorems. I'm finding that not just a few of the topology problems I do can be mostly solved by a simple "consider theorem X.Y..."

1. How many problems should I do when teaching myself a new concept?

The number of problems you should do when teaching yourself a new concept varies depending on the complexity of the concept and your level of proficiency. However, a good rule of thumb is to do enough problems until you feel confident in your understanding and ability to apply the concept.

2. Is there a specific number of problems I should aim for?

There is no specific number of problems you should aim for when teaching yourself. The focus should be on quality rather than quantity. It's important to make sure you are fully understanding each problem and not just going through the motions of solving them.

3. Should I do more problems if I am struggling with a concept?

If you are struggling with a concept, it may be helpful to do more problems to reinforce your understanding. However, it's also important to take breaks and approach the concept from different angles, such as seeking additional resources or asking for help from a tutor or mentor.

4. Is it better to do a variety of problems or focus on one type of problem?

It is beneficial to do a mix of both. Doing a variety of problems can help you see different applications of the concept and strengthen your understanding. However, focusing on one type of problem can help you master a specific skill or technique.

5. How do I know when I have done enough problems?

You will know you have done enough problems when you feel confident and comfortable applying the concept. You can also test your understanding by doing practice problems from different sources or teaching the concept to someone else. Remember to trust your instincts and don't overdo it.