Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many programs do you have open?

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Right now my Start bar contains 29 windows, most of them Internet Explorer, but also a couple for ZoneAlarm, a Paint program, my ISP, Norton antivirus, two My Computer windows, an image viewer, Eclipse, Calculator, and Notepad.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't imagine trying to keep track of that many windows on IE. I stop opening new web pages when the tabs start stretching all the way across the top of my browswer window. But I also keep my task bar hidden so I don't have it distracting me or getting in the way of what I want to read (small screen, no room for clutter).

Right now, I'm not doing any work (though will be heading there soon), so I just have Safari and Mail open. I should report back on a day when I'm working on a manuscript or grant and have everything in Office open, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Safari, Mail, EndNote, Calculator, Calendar, iTunes (essential for writing grants), Print Center, sometimes Image Capture, and usually Netware. Once in a while, I add ImageJ to that, but do more of my image analysis on the dept PCs that run MetaMorph, and usually that's all completed before I get into doing something that would require juggling files in all those other applications. Sometimes it's just easier to print everything so I can see it all at the same time.
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right now, I only have one window open, but that's a rarity. When I'm actually working on something, I usually have so many open I don't even want to count. I like my toolbar at work - each one may get really small, but it's still right where you can click on it (believe it or not, I can usually remember which is which even when they're too skinny to read). At home, they tend to get layered, which can be kind of a pain, but I don't get that many open at one time nearly as often, either.
  5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

Gold Member

A few minutes ago I had 2 internet explorer bars, jasc paint shop pro9, microsoft word, an a norton antivirus notification. :yuck: But my internet browser stopped working, so I had to restart my computer.

Even though I put a :yuck: , yours still deserves one
  6. Apr 30, 2005 #5

Gold Member

CAD (solidedge), 2 calculators, matlab, steam, 4 firefox (including this one), 2 aim windows, ssh (putty)
  7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    I rarely have more than 5 open. Currently I have 2 open: Opera and Winamp.
  8. Apr 30, 2005 #7

Gold Member

firefox sucks :yuck: go IE! :rofl:
  9. Apr 30, 2005 #8
    I use netscape. It has tabs for each new internet path so the program is only open once.

I currently don't have any others open.
  10. Apr 30, 2005 #9

Gold Member

Does netscape have sound?
  11. Apr 30, 2005 #10

Firefox is the BEST. i dont know what your thinking.
  12. Apr 30, 2005 #11

Staff: Mentor

If I'm working, I usually have too many IE windows open to count because I access most of what I need through the company intranet. I will always have Outlook, Word and Excel open, and sometimes Power Point.
  13. Apr 30, 2005 #12
    WMP, IE, Trillian
  14. Apr 30, 2005 #13
    I usually try to keep the taskbar as little cluttered as possible, but there have been times when it just overflows to two or three levels. It is a combination of explorer, winamp, IM boxes, random software, and lots and lots of IE windows all over the place.
  15. Apr 30, 2005 #14
    I actually keep my Start bar at a default of 2 levels high, because I don't like to scroll.
  16. Apr 30, 2005 #15
    I have windows, my shop invoice program and Excel
  17. May 1, 2005 #16
    iTunes, MSN, Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Password manager, Answers, Paintshop pro, daemon tools, ares, winrar, regedit, and 2 openoffice programs.

Edit: And IE
  18. May 1, 2005 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IE,Yahoo Messenger,WinDjvu,Ghostview (and sometimes Acrobat Reader,too),Windows Explorer.More than that and Windows dies...:yuck:

19. May 1, 2005 #18
    Once you start using Firefox, it's essentially impossible to bring yourself to use a computer with only IE, so I advise not to get it :frown:

Anyway, usually a few dozen Firefox windows, at least one instance of Maple, possibly a TeX IDE, and winamp.
    Last edited: May 1, 2005
  20. May 1, 2005 #19

Gold Member

IE.. HAHHA you are funny (or is it not-so-smart?)

I have winamp running on my second computer (as well as AverTV and SETI@Home)
  21. May 1, 2005 #20
    I rarely have more than five open. No reason too. Of course, if you count Firefox tabs as individual windows, sometimes i have as many as 30. Currently, only 3.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?